How To Lose Friends And Alienate People

Take up playing the piano accordion - the bagpipes, even! What will the neighbours think? Your most amusing suggestions welcomed.

Chris

They will think nothing. If anything, they will compliment you on nice playing, recall their uncle or dad playing the same instrument awile ago, and hint that they really appreciate your hard efforts. It will mean you may consider to reduce volume or change time of practice.

That's all.

Have to side with m3838 on this one; I disdain cliches. Further, being among others an accordian and banjo player (two instruments of a cliched reputation), I also occasionally spend time around a bagpipe band.

My friend, a member of a local pipes tatoo, used to practice his bagpipes in his classroom after school. One little girl, waiting for her mom, heard and asked "Whats all that noise?"

"That's Mr Baker playing his bagpipes." I replied.

With a look of horrified disgust she asked "WHY?"

True story. :ph34r:

RB

I love the great pipes when played outdoors. But indoor piping should be restricted to water and sewage. :ph34r:

True story:

Many yeas ago, I heard the band, Michael, McCreesh, and Campbell (Walt Michael on hammered dulcimer, Tom McCreesh on fiddle, and Harley Campbell on bass) play at the 8th Step Coffee House, back in the days when the 8th Step was in the basement of the First Presbyterian Church on Willett Street in Albany. There was a pair of drainage pipes running along the ceiling over the stage and Tom McCreesh, who stood at least 6'4", kept hitting his head on them. Finally he said "You may thing this is a trio up here, but actually it's a quartet. Hammered dulcimer [pointing to each as he names it], bass, fiddle, and pipes.

I used to have a beautiful French hurdy-gurdy (vielle a roue) which I could only play when she-who-must-be-obeyed was out. The neighbour knocked on the door to complain that our boiler was making a funny noise. Was it about to blow up she asked. I sold it and went back to the concertina.

Chris