Crabb Anglo

Geoffrey Crabb

Hello Geoff,

Thank you for your input on this fine instrument. For the sake of the ten other people with the same question...who are too reticent to ask: "Would you be able to supply a new metal side for this concertina since it has a hole in the fret work?" That is...if you have the time and energy? Another repair person may not want to interfere since it has the Crabb logo or badge stamped/engraved into the metal. (The winning bidder would obviously pay for the work).

Regards,

Ben

Hello Geoff,

Thank you for your input on this fine instrument. For the sake of the ten other people with the same question...who are too reticent to ask: "Would you be able to supply a new metal side for this concertina since it has a hole in the fret work?" That is...if you have the time and energy? Another repair person may not want to interfere since it has the Crabb logo or badge stamped/engraved into the metal. (The winning bidder would obviously pay for the work).

Regards,

Ben

Hi Ben.,

Whilst not committing myself, although it is possible, one has to consider;

1. The material that the originals are made of. If of unplated nickel silver, then a replacement may not be of the same alloy content and therefore there may be some colour difference.

2. If the tops have been plated then the replacement top will have to be plated and again the finish will be markedly different to the undamaged end.

3. Could the end plate be repaired.

4. Is the cost involved justified.

Personally I would leave it as it is. What does intrigue me is what caused the hole?

Regards

Geoff

Hi Ben.,

Whilst not committing myself, although it is possible, one has to consider;

1. The material that the originals are made of. If of unplated nickel silver, then a replacement may not be of the same alloy content and therefore there may be some colour difference.

2. If the tops have been plated then the replacement top will have to be plated and again the finish will be markedly different to the undamaged end.

3. Could the end plate be repaired.

4. Is the cost involved justified.

Personally I would leave it as it is. What does intrigue me is what caused the hole?

Regards

Geoff

A mild attack of nickelworm - caught and treated in the nick of time :lol:

Well camaflaged amongst all the other holes in the end of the concertina.

Would not bother me in the least - I'd leave it

Cheers

Dave

Why not make a similar matching hole in the opposite end and let people think it is part of the original fretwork design?

Chris

You'd have to have eyes like a hammerhead shark to be able to see both ends at the same time!

You'd have to have eyes like a hammerhead shark to be able to see both ends at the same time!

That's it! The owner was playing his concertina under the water and was attacked by a hammerhead shark. In defence, he thrust his concertina towards the shark's head in an attempt to fend him off, and...holy moly! Yes, I know it sounds an unlikely scenario but have you seen the film? It's similar to Jaws.

Chris