Trouble Putting Quotes In

That's it. Ever since the forum had that refit a few months ago I haven't been able to take a quote out of someone else's reply. I can get the whole thing but not a sentence on it's own. I've had a good go and failed. How do you do it please?

That's it. Ever since the forum had that refit a few months ago I haven't been able to take a quote out of someone else's reply. I can get the whole thing but not a sentence on it's own. I've had a good go and failed. How do you do it please?

Hey Dirge

Or another way would be to highlight, and copy the text, then paste it into the text editor. Then highlight the text you want quoted. On the toolbar at the top of the editor click on the (wrap text in quote button).

Peters way is better because it carries who quoted it. Mine just wraps the quote around the text.
Like this. Just another way

Thanks

Leo

Well I'm glad it wasn't me being dense. Perhaps it's no bad thing to make it harder work to do 'arguing with every point' replies.

Thanks for the reassurance.

Thanks

The trick, it seems, Dirge, is to employ the use of square brackets and a right slash symbol. With a suitable combination of these at the beginning and end of a word or sentence, you can put a sentence in

"quotes"
, or "italicise" a word, make it "bold", "underline" it, etc. So, for example, to highlight a quote, start with a square left-hand bracket followed by the word "quote" followed by a square right-hand bracket; then enter the text you want. I use highlight, copy and paste sometimes - saves deleting unwanted text - and finish of with a square left-hand bracket followed by a right slash symbol (this closes the quotation, italicisation, etc) followed by the word "quote" again, ending with a square right-hand bracket. Thus:

The trick, it seems, Dirge, is to employ the use of square brackets and a right slash symbol. With a suitable combination of these at the beginning and end of a word or sentence, you can put a sentence in "quotes", or "italicise" a word using "i", make it "bold" using "b", "underline" it using "u", etc. So, for example, to highlight a quote, start with a square left-hand bracket followed by the word "quote" followed by a square right-hand bracket; then enter the text you want. I use highlight, copy and paste sometimes - saves deleting unwanted text - and finish of with a square left-hand bracket followed by a right slash symbol (this closes the quotation, italicisation, etc) followed by the word "quote" again, ending with a square right-hand bracket.

Simple really, when you know how! I learned this through a combination of seeing someone else's text in its raw state when replying to a topic thread (I now know how to insert a link to a website given as "here", in the text, for example.) and what happens to the text when you click on the "b", "u", "i", etc. symbols shown at the top left when replying to a topic. Have fun and be creative with it! When you have finished reading this, click on reply and have a look at how my reply is set out, prior to being added!

Chris

The trick, it seems, Dirge, is to employ the use of square brackets and a right slash symbol. With a suitable combination of these at the beginning and end of a word or sentence, you can put a sentence in
"quotes"
, or "italicise" a word, make it "bold", "underline" it, etc. So, for example, to highlight a quote, start with a square left-hand bracket followed by the word "quote" followed by a square right-hand bracket; then enter the text you want. I use highlight, copy and paste sometimes - saves deleting unwanted text - and finish of with a square left-hand bracket followed by a right slash symbol (this closes the quotation, italicisation, etc) followed by the word "quote" again, ending with a square right-hand bracket. Thus:

The trick, it seems, Dirge, is to employ the use of square brackets and a right slash symbol. With a suitable combination of these at the beginning and end of a word or sentence, you can put a sentence in "quotes", or "italicise" a word using "i", make it "bold" using "b", "underline" it using "u", etc. So, for example, to highlight a quote, start with a square left-hand bracket followed by the word "quote" followed by a square right-hand bracket; then enter the text you want. I use highlight, copy and paste sometimes - saves deleting unwanted text - and finish of with a square left-hand bracket followed by a right slash symbol (this closes the quotation, italicisation, etc) followed by the word "quote" again, ending with a square right-hand bracket.

Simple really, when you know how! I learned this through a combination of seeing someone else's text in its raw state when replying to a topic thread (I now know how to insert a link to a website given as "here", in the text, for example.) and what happens to the text when you click on the "b", "u", "i", etc. symbols shown at the top left when replying to a topic. Have fun and be creative with it! When you have finished reading this, click on reply and have a look at how my reply is set out, prior to being added!

Chris

The last comment's the killer; should have thought of that; mind you I don't want to spend all my time typing quote, I don't know where the q is, so I'll probably stick to the cut and paste bit which I can cope with.

(Are you on night shift these days Chris? Must be late over there.)

Well I'm glad it wasn't me being dense. Perhaps it's no bad thing to make it harder work to do 'arguing with every point' replies.

Unfortunately, it doesn't make it harder to
argue
, just harder to understand the arguments.
:ph34r:
Well, maybe that's
not
so unfortunate.
:unsure:

• 1 year later...
I can get the whole thing but not a sentence on it's own.

I use quote/reply, then delete what I don't want from the original post.

Just a small question: Would that change the first message by the person who you are replying to? If you know what I mean; would it change it(the message you are replying to) completely in the topic for everyone to see?

Just don't want to be a bad-guy; cutting everyone's messages up to small bits :lol: ;) :P

Cheers,

Patrick

Edited by Patrick King

Patrick didn't really write this, I (David) did. See above post for what Patrick really wrote. I'm just doing this to illustrate the point that you can edit what's in the quotes to your heart's content. Snip stuff, add ellipses (...), add (parenthetical) notes, etc. It's getting stuffy in here. Just a minute. Let me out!

Whew! That's better. Also, to Peter's comment, you don't need to press both "Quote" and "Reply." Just hitting "Reply" will do it. It will put everything you need into the text window and then you can do anything with it, as above...

...even change the date.

...I'm just doing this to illustrate the point that you can edit what's in the quotes to your heart's content. Snip stuff, add ellipses (...), add (parenthetical) notes, etc. It's getting stuffy in here. Just a minute. Let me out!

...even change the date.

:blink: I didn't know I was that old... :lol:

This goes to show that I'm not a bad guy. ;)