Pronunciation Problems Again

I know this has probably been hashed out before, but just so I'm clear on this.

I've been pronouncing Stagi to rhyme with "soggy" Like "soggy" with a "t" in there somewhere. I'm guessing this is wrong.

And did we ever reach consensus on how to pronounce Lachenal? 'Cause I'm guessing LATCH-en-all is probably wrong, too.

I've been pronouncing Stagi to rhyme with "soggy" Like "soggy" with a "t" in there somewhere. I'm guessing this is wrong.

I believe it's an Italian name. I don't speak Italian, but I've learned something of its pronunciation from choral singing. The "g" before a soft vowel ("e" or "i") is pronounced like American/English "j", so "Stagi" should sound somewhat like "stodgy". If you wanted to "harden" it in that context (to pronounce it "stoggy"), you would need to insert an "h", i.e., "Staghi". But before hard vowels ("a", "o", "u") or before consonants (why the "h" has the effect it does?) the "g" is hard by default ("Stiga" sounds like "stiggah").

"C" in Italian is similar. Like English "ch" before "e" or "i", like our "k" otherwise. (Italian "ce" sounds like our "che", their "che" like our "ke"). Our "c" has a similar rule, since before "e" or "i" it's pronounced like "s", otherwise like "k". In the English word "accent" the first "c" is followed by a consonant (the second "c"), so it's hard, while the second one is followed by the soft vowel "e", so it's soft, and the combination is pronounced "aksent".

More than you wanted to know, I'm sure. :)

And did we ever reach consensus on how to pronounce Lachenal? 'Cause I'm guessing LATCH-en-all is probably wrong, too.

I seem to recall a conclusion that there were various "correct" possibilities, perhaps regional variants? But I'm pretty sure that the "T" doesn't belong there, i.e., the "ch" is French and should sound like English "sh".

Stuart

i just linked to your anarchy site...great stuff. I've been trying to increase my repertoire with tunes that are not usually associated with the concertina.For instance, a recognisable version of The Stranglers' Golden Brown is achievable on an anglo G/D. It always surprises people(sure, The Stranglers were a bit plastic compared to The Pistols) to hear it played on the tina.Maybe you should use the Tunes Forum to invite others to check out your site.