Lachenal Reed Chamber Splits.

I have a Lachenal anglo circa 1900-1910 with radial reed chambers. A reed went flat on the draw. On inspection, a couple of the chamber walls have very small splits at the base, thus allowing excess airflow. An accordian maker/repairer has recommended sealing these gaps using beeswax. Any other ideas or advice?

Any other ideas or advice?

Hello Ben, welcome to the forum. I had a similar problem with a Lachenal English, I worked a little PVA glue into the crack and then wedged a clothes peg into the chamber to hold it in position while the glue set.

post-3860-1202241787_thumb.jpg

I have a Lachenal anglo circa 1900-1910 with radial reed chambers. A reed went flat on the draw. On inspection, a couple of the chamber walls have very small splits at the base, thus allowing excess airflow. An accordian maker/repairer has recommended sealing these gaps using beeswax. Any other ideas or advice?

Good old PVA! The ribs are usually quite flexible, so you can open up the cracks enough to insinuate a little glue with the aid of a toothpick. Then bridge several ribs with a piece of scrap timber, and clamp it.

I think I responded to this privately, giving the same advice as david robertson has above. Do not use beeswax, when it falls out you will never get the glue to stick again!

Dave E