Quick Advice Wanted

gabriele

On monday I shall be going to Barleycorn to buy myself a nice Anglo, after learning to play on a 30-button Stagi. I am longing to own a real concertina with concertina sound and real reeds. I have just realised after browsing this forum for a while that I might be very glad with some good advice. By the way, 1500 to 2000 pounds is about as much as I can afford. I am looking forward to your tips. Regards, gabriele.

A trip to the concertina Mecca of Chris Algar's garden shed is a pilgrimage I also hope to make someday. Chris has a deserved reputation for placing the right instrument in a player's hands. You probably couldn't ask for a better selection of instruments to try. Have fun!

My advice would be to try them all. I would advise letting your ear and the feel of the instrument be your guide rather than make or reputation of the instrument. Sometimes an exceptional Lachenal or Jones can trump a more expensive or prestigious instrument.

It may come down to dollars (pounds) and sense (cents). I know in many cases I have regretted not spending just a bit more to get what i really wanted rather than settling for what I felt I could only afford at that moment. (If you really are in love with the concertina and intend on playing the next 30 years, think of amortizing the extra amount you might spend on that dream instrument over that time period. Suddenly the extra 20 pounds per year to move up to the next tier of instruments makes sense! (cents))

Regardless, have a great visit and give my regards to Chris.

Greg

On monday I shall be going to Barleycorn to buy myself a nice Anglo, after learning to play on a 30-button Stagi.

Hi Gabriele,

Do you know whether you are looking for a C/G or G/D, or just the "right" instrument? If you can take another player with you, a second opinion might be handy.

Certainly a 30 key Lachenal should come within this price range.

Happy hunting!

Peter.

On monday I shall be going to Barleycorn to buy myself a nice Anglo, after learning to play on a 30-button Stagi.

Just one tip ... the acoustics of Chris Algar's garage are very echoy - like playing in a bathroom (maybe that wall of boxed concertinas are sitting resonating!) When I visited a few years ago faced with a stack of concertinas to choose from, I reduced the heap to a couple and then chose one..... but if (no, when!) I go back to upgrade, if I have a hard time making a final decision, I'll see if I can take a couple to try at home, you can get the feel of the action at Chris's but to get the full range of the sound they make needs a variety of spaces. I'm pretty sure Chris lets you trial concertinas, but it depends on how far away you live for this to be practical.

Chris

Edited by spindizzy

Hi you all, thank you very much for all your kind and useful advice. I am looking for a C/G Anglo concertina. Taking some instruments to try them out home is not practical for me as I live in Holland and will just go over for a short trip. My husband is going with me but he is not a concertina player. He is a good listener though, and a musician. I shall take into account the sound in Chris's workshop.

If you are interested you will be able to read here what I have chosen....

Regards, Gabriele

For your price range you should be able to find something quite acceptable with Chris. I certainly wouldn't expect you to leave empty handed. However if that unlikely circumstance should happen, you might remember the strength of the euro against the dollar and talk to some of the American makers...

Incidentally, one of our regular forum contributors, Henk van Aalten, lives in Arnhem and may also be able to advise you. try sending him a pm.

Best of luck,

Chris

For your price range you should be able to find something quite acceptable with Chris. I certainly wouldn't expect you to leave empty handed. However if that unlikely circumstance should happen, you might remember the strength of the euro against the dollar and talk to some of the American makers...

Incidentally, one of our regular forum contributors, Henk van Aalten, lives in Arnhem and may also be able to advise you. try sending him a pm.

Best of luck,

Chris

Give my regards to Chris Algar too.

Yes, and ask Henk if he's coming to the SSI in April.

Chas

Anyone else up for it? The SSI I mean.

I live in Holland

Hi Gabriele,

Quite a distance between the two places, but have you ever met Co de Haan? He played Anglo concertina; I met him at the Sidmouth Folk Festival back in 1990. At the time he was living in Tilburg, some 100+ km from you.

Regards,

Peter.

Hello, everybody. I was in Chris Algar's famous garden shed and I could choose between about 20 anglos within my price-range. After rigorous discarding the search was soon narrowed to a new Connor with used reeds, a Lachenal with additional buttons (38 I believe) and rosewood ends, and two Wheatstones with metal ends, one with 40 buttons and a drone, both at the top end of my savings. I almost fell for the last one. but the other Wheatstone (30 buttons) played more easily. I would never have expected that a better instrument could make so much difference concerning feel, sound, air control and bellow movements, besides just being a beauty. My tina was made in London round 1960 an sold to South Africa, from where it came back to be restored by Chris. So now I am poor but proud and happy.

Thank you all , you have been a great help. And Chris sends his regards back. Regards, Gabriele