Wanted: Chord Book/jackie Manual

catty

Well here's the keyboard layout.

post-3860-1201201685_thumb.jpg

Speaking of which:

here is your perfect English system, compact, finger untangling, fully chromatic in two octaves, free standing Glassophone!

EnglishGlassophone.jpg

Now it's your chance to iimpress your coworkers.

Hmm, that's an idea!

By the way, isn't it strangly relevant, that this placement of the buttons, while making sense, reminds of a concertina shape?

Wouldn't it be more appropriate in a standard concertina, than horizontal/perpendicular pattern?

Edited by m3838

Speaking of which:

here is your perfect English system, compact, finger untangling, fully chromatic in two octaves, free standing Glassophone!

[......................image deliberately not copied]

Thanks a lot, Misha, for trying to confuse a beginner! :angry:

Catty, the diagram Misha (m3838) posted is not that of an English concertina keyboard. I don't know whether it represents his idea of what an English keyboard ought to be (his use of the word "perfect" suggests that), but it won't help you with a Jackie. You'll be much better off if you ignore it.

By the way, isn't it strangly relevant, that this placement of the buttons, while making sense, reminds of a concertina shape?

I see that it's strange. I don't see that it's relevant. Nor is it "making sense" to me. :(

Speaking of which:

Thanks a lot, Misha, for trying to confuse a beginner! :angry:

Sorry for confusing Catty (Catty, are you confused, or is it only Jim? :D )

Catty, the diagram Misha (m3838) posted is not that of an English concertina keyboard.

Yes, it is.

I don't know whether it represents his idea of what an English keyboard ought to be (his use of the word "perfect" suggests that), but it won't help you with a Jackie. You'll be much better off if you ignore it.

It simply represents the idea of placing glasses tightly, but Catty can ignore it.

I see that it's strange. I don't see that it's relevant. Nor is it "making sense" to me. :(

It just means you are not in philosophical mood.

But Catty may benefit from my contribution, since I do have Jackie manual, and it's for free (only postage).

So it may go to Catty if she wants it.

I just need the address and some payment to my Paypal account.

Catty, the diagram Misha (m3838) posted is not that of an English concertina keyboard.

Actually the diagram was mine. The subtitle of the thread was an appeal for a 30 button keyboard layout, presumably for a Jackie concertina as named in the thread title. I was going to point to the diagrams on the Concertina Connection website but decided to use Wes William's excellent software to create what I thought would be a more useful representation. Sorry it didn't meet with your approval. Silly me.

Actually the diagram was mine. The subtitle of the thread was an appeal for a 30 button keyboard layout, presumably for a Jackie concertina as named in the thread title. I was going to point to the diagrams on the Concertina Connection website but decided to use Wes William's excellent software to create what I thought would be a more useful representation. Sorry it didn't meet with your approval. Silly me.

Jim mentioned my diagram for EC-Glassophone, where I shifted accidentals diagonally.

Catti, as I remember, has Mayfair with 30 buttons. So it may or may not be laid out like Jackie.

Jim's disaproval lays squarely with me. I'm still recuperating from stern correction.

I'm still shaking beause of Jim.

Or is it because of Gym last night? :D (sorry, lame joke)

I'm still shaking beause of Jim.

Or is it because of Gym last night? :D (sorry, lame joke)

Shaking with laughter, I presume. :unsure:

But if the gym last night made you lame -- joking or otherwise -- you shouldn't work out so hard, but ease yourself into it. ;)

Actually the diagram was mine.

Jim mentioned my diagram for EC-Glassophone, where I shifted accidentals diagonally.

Tallship -- and everyone, -- my apologies for my own lack of clarity. It was indeed Misha's diagram I was criticising. I meant to say that your own was the right one, but I slipped up and omitted that. I'm sure that part of the confusion was because in my own reply post I deliberately kept your good diagram but not a copy of the "bad" one.

Misha, in your "EC-Glassophone" diagram, I didn't see any accidentals at all. I now realize that you apparently were using colors for that (red for sharps, green for flats), but you gave no explanation, while layouts in other threads have used different colors to represent different octaves. On further inspection, I see that your diagram has the same notes as Tallship's, but with the button alignments distorted to where I didn't find that immediately obvious. Your diagram does present a pretty picture, but I certainly don't think it would be easier to play.

And I will emphasize the reason for my response: I believed Catty was requesting a diagram for the instrument she has, not suggestions for building a new one to a different design.

Tallship -- and everyone, -- my apologies for my own lack of clarity. It was indeed Misha's diagram I was criticising. I meant to say that your own was the right one, but I slipped up and omitted that. I'm sure that part of the confusion was because in my own reply post I deliberately kept your good diagram but not a copy of the "bad" one.

It's like a comedy of errors really Jim. Pull up a chair, pour yourself a beer and I'll tell you what really happened ...

I had to draw the diagram twice because I 'lost' the first one when I switched to a different tab in the software before saving the changes, so I was pretty annoyed with myself. :angry: Then m3838 made his post, if you look back you will find that it was edited four minutes after being posted, I read it before the edited version and the original post didn't have m3838's diagram in it! If you read the text alone without the supporting picture it doesn't make any sense at all and I really thought he was a sandwich short of a picnic.

I retired to watch a bit of television awaiting the end of an interesting auction on ebay and a little while later the cat projectile vomited a hair ball and half its' tea over my foot. :angry: In the resulting malaise I missed the end of the auction and my dastardly plan to go in with a large and hopefully winning bid in the dying seconds was thwarted and I wasn't the proud owner of bilcro's tuning bellows. :angry::angry: I sought comfort in a couple of beers and a half decent comedy show on the tele but I was in an ill humour.

I thought I'd have one last look at the forum before going to bed; when I saw you had posted I of course jumped straight to the latest post in the thread blithely unaware that the diagram had been added. I didn't read any of the quoted bits because I hadn't understood the apparently insane ramblings the first time around, unfortunately you'd written the bit about omitting m3838's diagram inside the quote. The rest, as they say, is history and it turns out to be a simple misunderstanding. So now it's my turn to crave your indulgence for a bad tempered old bloke who was in no mood to be trifled with. ;)

Edited because I'm a poor typist too!

Edited by tallship