Making New Ends

I have a treble EC with raised ebony ends - the ends are all smashed and I'm thinking about replacing them.

Does any one have any experience of making new ends - specifically:

How to create laminated ends with a veneer of my choice.

How best to create the raised ends.

How to cut the flat edge chamfer around the rim of the action box (where the bolts are).

How best to mark out the ends for fretting.

How to align the new ends for drilling with the original action.

How to remove old veneer from the outside edges of the action box.

Thanks

Steve

I have a treble EC with raised ebony ends - the ends are all smashed and I'm thinking about replacing them.

Does any one have any experience of making new ends - specifically:

How to create laminated ends with a veneer of my choice.

How best to create the raised ends.

How to cut the flat edge chamfer around the rim of the action box (where the bolts are).

How best to mark out the ends for fretting.

How to align the new ends for drilling with the original action.

How to remove old veneer from the outside edges of the action box.

Thanks

Steve

Steve,

There are two people in the U.K that I may suggest for this type of work, namely: 1) Colin Dipper. He is the king of Veneers and Raised ends. Give him a call at: 44-19-858-40516 or write to him: West End House High Str. Heytesbury Warminster BA1Z 0EA (Please ask him how my 40 button anglo is coming along :) ); 2) Andrew Norman at: http://www.acnorman.co.uk/ Andrew's website has an example of a Lachenal EC's fretwork that was restored after being smashed.

Edited by Ben Otto

My question for you is: Do you want to do the work yourself... or just get it done? If it's a Wheatstone the easiest thing would have Steve Dickinson (of Wheatstone) make you some new ends. He's got the original patterns and jigs for most of the company's concertinas and could easily make an as-original end. He can also make it in any veneer choice (need not be as your original "ebony").

-- Rich --