The Lewes Favourites

Pete Dunk

Prompted by a discussion about tune books in the General Concertina Discussion forum I was going to recommend a book published by the good folks at the Lewes Arms Folk Club only to find that the whole thing is available for download in various formats here.

What you don't get by downloading the files is a nice tune book full of little notes about the tunes at a very modest price. When I can find the proper link to buy the book (they do like to hide things!), I'll post it here in case anyone fancies a copy.

For the benefit of those forum members from other countries, Lewes is a historic town quite close to Brighton on the south coast of England and the area boasts a thriving community of traditional music players who are able draw on a large repertoire of 'local' tunes (as well as playing favourite tunes from elsewhere).

I would have thought a page with the words "Send us money", would have been more prominent. :blink:

Maybe they don't want folks to think that they're American politicians? :unsure:

(George Lewes for President in 2008, anyone?

To raise money to pay for TV spots, we're selling this little tune book.
;)
)

Prompted by a discussion about tune books in the General Concertina Discussion forum I was going to recommend a book published by the good folks at the Lewes Arms Folk Club only to find that the whole thing is available for download in various formats here.

What you don't get by downloading the files is a nice tune book full of little notes about the tunes at a very modest price.

Agree. We've been using that book for a couple of years now as one of our resources in our English session here in Houston; I think I emailed them for the sales information (and picked up a parcel of them for the session folks when I was visiting the UK, to avoid the Queen's postage bill). Nice tunes in a nicely produced book (easier to own the book than fight with the PC and printer for downloads). We also like Flowers and Frolics recordings, and have picked up some nice tunes from there too that work well in our session.

Dan