Recent Concertina History

Christian Husmann

Hello you out there!

As a matter of interest I was wondering the other day what has happened to one instrument I owned and sold here.

Must have been 2001/2002ish, as you can see on the pics below a rosewood concertina (Lachenal), brass reeds and it was in need of a lot of attention when I sold it. I can´t remember anything of the buyer but it went to the Midlands, that I do remember.

I have no proper image program on the computer but the serial number is either 43XXX or 48XXX (stamped on the cloth it was always hard to read it).

So, has anybody seen that one? I´d just like to know what happened to the old lady...

Greetings

Christian

post-163-1196888347_thumb.jpg post-163-1196888394_thumb.jpg post-163-1196888559_thumb.jpg

Edited by Christian Husmann

• 1 year later...
Hello you out there!

As a matter of interest I was wondering the other day what has happened to one instrument I owned and sold here.

Must have been 2001/2002ish, as you can see on the pics below a rosewood concertina (Lachenal), brass reeds and it was in need of a lot of attention when I sold it. I can´t remember anything of the buyer but it went to the Midlands, that I do remember.

I have no proper image program on the computer but the serial number is either 43XXX or 48XXX (stamped on the cloth it was always hard to read it).

So, has anybody seen that one? I´d just like to know what happened to the old lady...

Greetings

Christian

post-163-1196888347_thumb.jpg post-163-1196888394_thumb.jpg post-163-1196888559_thumb.jpg

I´ll give it another chance. Anyone seen this one?

Greetings

Christian

Is the MOP inlay custom? I seem to remember seeing one like this on this forum before. Very nice.

A friend of mine has a "Wheatstone," very very similar with the corner inlays. (Or do you mean the little flower in one corner?) Were the corner inlays normal with Rosewood ends?

I'm interested that such a nice looking instrument has brass reeds, I'd assumed (presumably wrongly) that they were generally a sign of the lower end concertinas.

Tom

Edited by TomB-R

Is the MOP inlay custom?

These inlays are not MOP, but metal. Lachenal had these in what were their best Englishes before the introduction of the "New Model": The Inimitable (rosewood), the Excelsior (ebony) and the Nonpareille (amboyna, with gilt buttons). They also had the golden tooling in the bellows and the fancy papers.

Christian's is a Inimitable. Here are pictures of a Nonpareille (#35480, c.1896) and a Excelsior (#42054, c.1906) with more elaborate fretwork.

post-1580-1245451923_thumb.jpgpost-1580-1245452021_thumb.jpg

BTW: I've seen the same inlays on Wheatstones as well.