Rare And Unique Enlish Concertina For Sale

peterhurst

Hello everyone,

I have decided to sell this unique concertina, I do not play anymore and I feel that this box needs someone who can fully appreciate it, the concertina is.

A WHEATSTONE AEOLA METAL ENDED 48 GOLD PLATED KEY ENGLISH SYSTEM, BOUGHT NEW BY THE FAMOUS BETTY AUKLAND(Betty was a freind of mine),

WHATS SPECIAL,

This concertina is only 5.5 inches/140mm across. described in the Wheatstone ledgers as A PICCOLO, but is in fact a 48 TREBLE, there is no room for a airkey as the pans are so small.

This is the concertina seen in the photo,s of Betty.

It has a history of being played all over the world, Sam and Betty toured exstensivley in the 1920/30.s including South America.

The Concertina.

A 48 key treble, gold keys, some wear.

Metal ended.

Ebony wood work

6 fold bellows in great condition in black

No. 28257

In its original Leather box. however the leather hinge is broken and the top off, it carry,s a couple of original ships label,s

The concertina action is very fast. and very loud if played hard.

The overall condition is excellent except for some wear on the keys.

PRICE.

This is a one off rare concertina, owned by a well known famous Concertina Player, what I am asking may seem a lot, but were can this be bought again......£3750 pounds.

I really do not want to send this box to Auction as I would rather a player own it than a dealer, it deserves a good home and needs to be played and loved. I have owned this box since Betty died but can no longer do it any justice and it is just sat in a cupboard.

Please email for pictures, to hurst.5@blueyonder.co.uk

I live in the UK. Merseyside.

Thankyou Peter.

Edited by peterhurst

Hi Peter, sounds like a lovely instrument.

I'm confused however that you would descibe it as a "treble" rater than a "piccolo"?

The ledgers describe it as a piccolo and 5 1/2 " is the standard size, I believe, for an Aeola piccolo.There's no way you could get all the reeds needed for a 48 key treble in a concertina of this dimension.It's rarity value is because it IS a piccolo.

Regards Robin

Hi, I assure everyone this is a 48 treble, made especially for Betty Aukland

as her hands were tiny and it is all she could manage, her father Sam also had one.I believe, but not sure, that Alistair Anderson owned one.

I have been involved in concertina,s a long while and I know the difference between a Piccolo and a 48 treble.

As I have stated there is no room for a air key because of its size, this should be no problem for a good player, as when I was taught to play I was not allowed to use the air key so that I wouldf always finish with the bellows shut.

thanks Peter.