Anglo Lachenal 20 Key?

onds

Hello, I have been reading some posts here and would like to ask for some expert advice :)

I have a concertina here, which belonged to my grandfather (or it might have come from my grandmother's Irish side of the family, but anyway...)

I have been trying to identify it, with a view to selling it.

I can't play, and it seems a shame to have it hanging about when clearly there is a market for them and people enjoy them.

10 keys one end 11 keys the other (ivory?), most work ok, a few don't.

Well used but undamaged decorative wood ends

Bellows part is well used and more worn on the 'body' side corners

Rather tatty leather straps

No box

On the 11 key end, on the hand bar it has the reed trademark and 'English' and 'Make' on either side of that, and 'Trade' and 'Mark' above and below it.

There is however no label to say who made it.

On the opposite end and inside the fretwork on removing some dust I have found a very old 'sticker' with the number 67101 just legible.

I have taken some pictures, which I will attmpt to link to here

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/6894325

Any comments or advice very welcome. Is it worth my while putting it on eBay?

Looks like a Lachenal 20-key anglo. Many of these were in C/G or Bb/F, and it may be in old tuning (not A=440, IOW). You might consider offering it for sale here - a nice crowd, and our suggested donation ;) is cheaper than ebay!

Of course, we always encourage concertina heirs to consider learning to play the family legacy if they can....where are you located?

Ken

Thank you for your swift replies.

I'm in Italy (longterm english expat).

I've had a few goes on it but I fear the chances of me learning to play it are nil.

I think it must have been my grandfather's, he was the musical person in the family, and played the piano fluently (without music I mean, he improvised and was very good).

My own musicality went into ballet, and I never learned to play the piano, although I had a relatively short and unsuccessful few years on a clarinet :(

I thought of another question: how can one tell roughly how old they are, or can't one?

My grandfather would have been well over 100 by now, although I suppose that's no indication in this case? :mellow:

• 10 months later...

Hello again :)

I am just bumping this as I still have the concertina in question, and am thinking to sell it on to someone who would enjoy it or at least use it, although I am in no hurry to get rid of it.

I think the pictures I linked to are still working.

Ideally someone in Italy or Great Britain (London/Surrey/Brighton area?), as it's heavy and I dread to think what the postage might be from here, and am not very trusting of the Italian Post anyway :rolleyes:

I do go over to the UK from time to time, so if someone is at all interested in it and is not in a hurry, perhaps they'd like to contact me?

• 9 months later...
Hello again :)

I am just bumping this as I still have the concertina in question, and am thinking to sell it on to someone who would enjoy it or at least use it, although I am in no hurry to get rid of it.

I think the pictures I linked to are still working.

Ideally someone in Italy or Great Britain (London/Surrey/Brighton area?), as it's heavy and I dread to think what the postage might be from here, and am not very trusting of the Italian Post anyway :rolleyes:

I do go over to the UK from time to time, so if someone is at all interested in it and is not in a hurry, perhaps they'd like to contact me?

Apologies, I am bumping this again as I am actually going over to the UK this week and it just occurred to me that I could bring the concertina over if someone is interested in buying it.

I will be in the Central London/West Surrey area, or could post it, although I have no idea what postage costs might be.

If anyone is still at all interested please contact me with an offer?

Failing that can anyone point me to a dealer in the West Surrey or London area who might deal with Lachenal concertinas?

Thank you very much :)

Just a thought, but you might be better off trying to sell your concertina in Italy? (In that there it would be considered unusual and a rarity...)

I'm afraid that in England a 20-key Lachenal would be very commonplace and not very desirable these days - most players wanting a 3-row, 30-key Anglo. I guess that, and the distance, is probably why you've had no takers yet... :(

Thanks Stephen.

I'll keep checking back here and see if anyone's interested though.

I leave Wednesday, so need to know before then.

If anyone across the pond is interested, I'd also take it to UK to post, as I trust the post better there!

I can do Paypal :)