Wheatstone/crab On Ebay

stella24

I'm interested in this concertina, it has fretwork that i haven't seen before and extra buttons, in the u.s. the seller states there is a note layout but it isn't actually there. i asked him more specific questions twice now with no reply. action type, serial number#, etc. anyone here have any luck with him? maybe it's not legit. :unsure: i'll see if i can hot link the page with my mac. usually i can't. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...A:IT&ih=009

I have written a note to the "seller" requesting another picture of the reedpan and the action. I would love to see the "insides" of this instrument and to see if there is an internal serial number or some other indication if this concertina was either a Wheatstone, a Crabb or a hybrid/generic concertina.

I have also written to Chris Algar to request his assistance in identifying the above mentioned concertina and its "owner." Perhaps Chris may be of assistance to us in determining if this "sale or auction item" is legitimate.

Edited by Ben Otto

Ben, Most excellent. I had also asked for pictures of the reedpan and action. The only time i have contacted Cris Algar (recently), he gave me prompt and excellent advise. it will be interesting to watch this play out. it's too bad if people don't list items well, such as a recent discussed intrument here that was in the midwest. seller pulled the listing and i guess sold it locally. i might have been up for it too. my new model lachenal has a great tone, but is difficult to play ornaments, some reeds slow... w.

SCAM TIME again. I received word from Chris Algar that this concertina is in fact in his possession. He originally bought it on Ebay and resold it. Chris' customer later on traded the Wheatsone/Crabb concertina in for something else. The photos, according to Chris, may have been taken before he came into possession of this concertina. Perhaps the photos was taken before it was orignally listed on Ebay. Chris contends that he does not even know if the concertina in question is a Wheatstone or a Crabb.

Ben

quote name='Paul Read' date='Oct 27 2007, 06:44 AM' post='62048']

I was under the impression that New Model Lachenals were English concertinas. The Wheatstone/Crabb monster is an anglo. Do you play both?

Paul, maybe i'm mistaken, but i have seen a few pictures of the New Model tina's, and this term is used whether they are anglo or english. they have ebony trim ends w/ the metal fretwork set flush. again, i could be wrong. I play anglo. one of us should get this listing pulled though, as there is a bid. w.