Instrument And Teacher For Beginner Cambs

doggyvonne

Hello my name is Yvonne and I have had a melodeon for 3 years, play a bit by ear but manage it awkwardly plus I have had a frozen shoulder so I am considering a concertina which may be lighter to hold. I have been looking for a teacher in Ely City, Cambs UK but no luck despite advertising on the web etc.

Can anyone steer me towards a concertina instrument which might suit me? My main area of need is in managing the bellows and using right hand buttons although this might be different with a concertina - I realise that. I have also never had anyone show me how the strap fixes round my body and its difficult to work it out ..either I am too small or the strap is too big??? I assume I wont need a strap with a concertina?? Thank you for reading my post and hope you can help.

Edited by doggyvonne

Hello my name is Yvonne and I have had a melodeon for 3 years, play a bit by ear but manage it awkwardly plus I have had a frozen shoulder so I am considering a concertina which may be lighter to hold. I have been looking for a teacher in Ely City, Cambs UK but no luck despite advertising on the web etc.

Can anyone steer me towards a concertina instrument which might suit me? My main area of need is in managing the bellows and using right hand buttons although this might be different with a concertina - I realise that. I have also never had anyone show me how the strap fixes round my body and its difficult to work it out ..either I am too small or the strap is too big??? I assume I wont need a strap with a concertina?? Thank you for reading my post and hope you can help.

Hi Yvonne & welcome aboard.

The Anglo is the type of Concertina that is most similar in playing approach to the Melodeon, and is well suited to playing by ear, being a diatonic instrument with one note on the push & another on the pull. However, if your shoulder problem makes quick changes of direction with the bellows difficult, an English or Duet Concertina (both types are chromatic produce same note on push and pull) might suit better. The key thing is to try each type if possible before deciding on which type you will be buying.

Another question is the type of music you will be wanting to play on the instrument. Certain types of Concertina tend to me more commonly played for some types of music compared to others, though all types are highly versatile. Because of these tendencies, training materials and teaching tend to be focussed on the most common type of Concertina played for that style of music.

So before you find your teacher, you'll probably need to decide on the type of Concertina. If you tell us more about what you want from an instrument musically, and physically, we might be able to help you decide.

cheers,

Woody

Thank you Woody for replying. I have a Hohner Melodeon which makes a scale with push and pull so I am used to that method. The shoulder (now healing) manages the push and pull but I move the bulk of it badly because the instrument sits on me awkwardly (perhaps because nobody here can show me how to wear it!) and possibly large bust getting in the way! I have one strap which was on it when it arrived in post and there is another which I guess must go on it somewhere but I cant work out where. Does a melodeon usually have 2 separate straps? I feel it is not anchored correctly against me and the control of it is thus unnecessarily strained and is interrupting the squeezes. Putting my thumb into the leather thumb loop tends to restrict my finger movements as my fingers are short though hands are fairly strong and broad.

I think the concertina which is a lighter instrument for a small woman which has a push and pull note on one button is more appealing to me now I have learned to make a scale. I will learn both if I can. I like British folk music on squeeze instruments i.e English Irish and Scottish..dont know much about Welsh music other than colliery choirs :rolleyes:

Edited by doggyvonne

I have one strap which was on it when it arrived in post and there is another which I guess must go on it somewhere but I cant work out where. Does a melodeon usually have 2 separate straps? I feel it is not anchored correctly against me and the control of it is thus unnecessarily strained and is interrupting the squeezes. Putting my thumb into the leather thumb loop tends to restrict my finger movements as my fingers are short though hands are fairly strong and broad.

From what I've seen more melodeon players use only one strap than those who use two. I think there's usually only one bracket top and bottom so both straps attach to the same point. I've fancied having a crack at playing a melodeon for a while and might have been interested in a trade but the only concertina I have available at the moment is an all but new Jackie English.

If you have your heart set on an anglo and don't want to part with loads of cash, consider a Rochelle.

Thanks Tall Ship

I am happy to keep the melodeon and buy a concertina too..I bought my Hohner melodeon from Music Room so I would doubtless buy the concertina there too if this price compares to the same brand elsewhere. They are very helpful people and friendly with it. The 'Rochelle' then..I am quite out of fashion as the last mail shot from Music Room said the Ukelele is the IN thing!! Do I need to state a certain key? Is it a paper cardboard matchwood job or a bit better than that? Thanks.

A mobile shop selling such things across the country would be great.. some people cant travel much and perhaps they are the peopel more likely to amuse themselves playing such things. They could take advantage of the crowds at folk festivals too and let folks try things for size. We go into posh shops in Cambridge and everything is in the window for show or in a box untouchable. More people would try these instruments if they got a chance to handle one at a display or festival etc. Mail order can be so hit or miss and quite often I bought entirely the wrong thing.. the first guitar I bought was a 12 string concert stage replica..I could hardly hold it let alone play it!! :lol:

Edited by doggyvonne

Hello Yvonne.

Are you mobile?

If so, The' Chiltinas' group should be within striking distance for you to travel:-

Chiltern Concertina Group Meets once a month at Maulden

Church Hall in Bedfordshire on

Sundays. Has 20 or more attendees.

Maulden is between Luton and Bedford.

Jon McNamara is a key member of this group and a participant in these forums. You can contact him by mesage from concertina net forums or go to www.concertina.info and find the link under clubs and organisations.

If you are not mobile, I would suggest you talk to Jon anyway. there may be Chiltina members nearer to you.

Best wishes

John Wild

Do I need to state a certain key? Is it a paper cardboard matchwood job or a bit better than that? Thanks.

The Rochelle only comes in C/G so no choice of key to worry about. All the Concertina Connection budget concertinas (Jack, Jackie and Rochelle) are sturdily built and physically much larger than 'standard' concertinas. They have accordion reeds in them which take up quite a lot of room and that explains the size although other makers of 'high end' accordion reeded concertinas manage a much more compact design but the price tag is much higher.

If you take to the concertina you'll be wanting to move on to a better instrument within a year or two, fortunately the Rochelle retains a high second hand value and there's always the option to upgrade to a top flight Wakker (Concertina Connection) concertina and get a full refund on the Rocehelle. I'm not sure if the Music Room offers this upgrade so you may be better buying direct from Wim Wakker in Holland. Yes, the Music Room are helpful, I'm sure they will explain the options if you give them a call, and don't forget the 30 day money back guarantee if you're not happy when the Rochelle arrives.

Have fun playing and let us know how you get on. :)

John Wild thank you for your reply unfortunately although I can competently run hop, jump, swim and bike I am not mobile for getting out of Ely plus very much bound to the home on account of two dogs, 1 husband and 2 lodgers! I am a wee bit phobic about car travel and I am not a driver..prefer walking. I only have been to Bedfordshire once to to Turvey Abbey on retreat but that was before our car accident. I dont travel much now. It really surprises me that there are no music teachers for melodion and concertina here..most other instruments like piano and trumpet or singing teachers etc but not for squeeze instruments which is odd considering I read a bygone musician from Ely Cathedral clergy once pioneered the piano accordion! I dont go out in the evenings as my husband works late and I have to cook for guests too plus no buses in these places after 6 pm. All I wish to do is have the pleasure of being able to play in my own home for family and friends. :rolleyes:

In case you wanted to jump straight to a better instrument I've just had a quick look about and Theo Gibb at The Box Place has an almost new Morse Ceili and a refurbished 30 Button Lachenal. Morse concertinas are incredibly light in weight and very responsive to play, they are also available new from The Music Room or direct from The Button Box in the States.

hello thanks for all helpful replies and pm's. I am likely to buy a really good instrument eventually but not until I have mastered the basic principles on a cheaper one. I want to gain some muscle memory and rhythm more than impress people just now. It's jsut a matter of finding trying and buying one which is manageable for me at present. I dont like tacky brittle plastic buttons which catch on the holes and bellows which look dogeared before you start..it puts me off. I am trying to decide upon 2 note buttons or not. How do the buttons on the one note button model work..are they do, re, me ..etc in a straight line?

I cant be the only person who learned musical scales from Julie Andrews! I have a basic knowledge of music but I forget it and have to recoup whereas muscle memory and musical memory never goes. I envy grade musicians but one or two of them have envied my perfect pitch and musical memory. I think I just benefitted from the autistic genes in my family..a little bit!! :)

Nice helpful replies on this forum and I will stay in touch.

Edited by doggyvonne

Hi Yvonne

I'm in South Cambs and also a complete beginner on Concertina. Bought a cheapo east german concertina off ebay a while back but haven't really touched it yet other than to see if all the buttons work (too many other instruments :rolleyes: ).

First thing to say is that acclaimed English Concertina player Alistair Anderson is (I was told) doing a concert in Cambridge (West Road) on 17th November 7pm) - phone corn exchange for tickets. I think there may be workshops (for kids) as well in the daytime. Would expect some of the concertina players in the area to be there, so sounds like a good opportunity to meet someone who might be able to teach you?

There's a couple of concertina players go to Greenshoots tune learning session in Whittlesford Red Lion (monday evenings) - right next to the train station and one or two at the Irish Tune learning group (thursday evening) at the Golden Hind on Milton Road in Cambridge (ie fifteen minutes drive down the A10 from Ely). These are "slow sessions" suitable for learners, but sounds like you wouldn't easily be able to get to either. Suspect all of these people are self-taught, but I can ask them? Cambridge Comhaltas at Rathmore Club definitely has melodeon lessons (provided you want to learn only Irish music) and there are quite a few players around town - much more so than concertina.

You might also check out the Ely folk scene if you can get out one evening. Wrong side of Cambridge for me, but I know there is a French session just started which meets in the Royal Standard on the second tuesday of each month - with instruments like french bagpipes, hurdy gurdy, accordion etc. Might not be exactly your cup of tea, but the people there may know if there is anyone locally who can teach concertina. There's other (non French) sessions in Ely, too.

Thanks again for all kindly responses on the thread and pm's. I had two people here urge me to get a Rochelle Anglo but a high repute shop has urged a Hohner GC Anglo £310. Can all that is said of the Rochelle be said of the HOHNER OR IS THE SHOP JUST trying to move the stock which people better versed than me are most unlikely to buy?

I want something made recently as I dont like musty smells or spores etc which makes me cough.

As outlined in the posts I am fairly much bound to the homeground and unlikely to go anywhere much although I may consider in next few years moving house to Bishops Stortford where I have family and there is a good concertina group it appears! A lady in Ely Folk Club did give me some useful advice online but again my life idoes not allow for nightlife or travelling very far whch is why I have chosen these instruments to amuse myself! :rolleyes:

Fantastic pm from Laitch..most helpful about the straps.

:) :) :)

Edited by doggyvonne

Sorry Yvonne, but old concertinas do not smell musty or spray spores everywhere if they're in good playing order; that would only be if they were left in the shed to rot. (I suppose if you found one that had just been refurbished after sitting a long time it might have some lingering airs to be blasted out, but even that would run off) They are fundamentally better instruments and don't depreciate, so initially more pricey but a better investment. Why not ring Chris Algar at Barleycorn Concertinas and talk to him about his stock; he's patient, helpful and well regarded.

Good of you to respond. I am sure there are some wonderful old concertinas but if you have understood my previous posts you will see that my mobility is limited and I have no way of checking anything out in person before buying and getting to post offices is not easy without a car when you are carrying a large object for return. For me buying something very new and not too expensive would seem a better option therefore . I have no intention of playing publically or joining an enthusiast club (there are none during the day here) so I wont be wanting to impress anyone but myself. During past few years I have offloaded a horrible old house, lots of old and odd smelling furniture, old china leachng nasty lead, lots of old mouldy books with mites and replaced all carpets with washable floors in a new build house. I am so much better physically that I will stick with something modern. No doubt if you spend a lot of money renovating an old instrument as with a house or vintage car you can achieve the same but I dont have that kind of money to spend on what is for me a casual hobby. :rolleyes: My dad's old accordions were beautiful Hohner Carina model and another I dont recall but they ahd that sort of musty eucalyptus smell which wafted out of the bellows which I never found at all pleasant. they were shut up in old leather cases -possibly jsut stale air but that's what i connect them with.

I want to be sure I can get more than a few squeaks of Bobby Shaftoe out of an instrument before I pay too much for a good one and then I will want a shiny clean takeaway modern one which I can buy parts for easily. £300 is about as much as I would want to pay right now and the deal I described is offering case and tutor book all in. I am just a bit undecided as to whether to go for the Rochelle or the Hohner Anglo? I have to say I have been delighted with my production line Hohner Melodeon. I think that I am lucky to be able to afford this much for such a frivolous item as I am only a housewife and dont feel at all sad about having a new one with no character. I am not sentimental and not at all attached to the past you see. :rolleyes:

This has been asked several times before Yvonne; if you do a search I think you'll find plenty of advice to go with the Rochelle. But have a look for yourself; it's all there already, waiting to be read. (I'm not an Anglo player)

This has been asked several times before Yvonne; if you do a search I think you'll find plenty of advice to go with the Rochelle. But have a look for yourself; it's all there already, waiting to be read. (I'm not an Anglo player)

Even if there's a wait for the Rochelle, it's worth it. I tinkered a bit with a Hohner at a shop and it wasn't any better than my Rochelle, and the Rochelle was cheaper (read less expensive -- the quality was easily as good) and had 30 buttons instead of 20.

Even if there's a wait for the Rochelle, it's worth it. I tinkered a bit with a Hohner at a shop and it wasn't any better than my Rochelle, and the Rochelle was cheaper (read less expensive -- the quality was easily as good) and had 30 buttons instead of 20.

I recently bought a Rochelle from Wim Wakker in The Netherlands Yvonne. He had it to me in 3 days via the post. I do live in Holland though, but he ships everywhere and you can give him a call. He speaks excellent English and will speak to you on the phone. With the Rochelle he will give you his own method of learning and before you know it, you will be playing a few tunes.

I also for health reasons needed to play a lighter instrument than Melodeon, allthough I decided to keep my A/D Italian made Melodeon after all and play it now and then.

The Rochelle sopunds very sweet and being only 1 voiced, it will not disturb your guests in the house when you practise.

Another good way of learning a few tunes when you just start is the website of Henk van Aalten who is a mamber of this group. Look for his profile via search. Henk has a wonderful method with buttons numbered and where to push and where to pull. Keep us in the loop and let us know what you decide.

Peace,

Jock