Wheatstone V Jeffries Anglo Keyboards.

PeterT

There has been much discussion, on C.net, about the merits of the Wheatstone (Lachenal) keyboard layout versus the Jeffries layout on the Anglo system.

Whilst it may have been covered in another thread, I don't recall seeing a photographic comparion. Please note, I refer to the physical layout, not the notes available on each key.

Below is a 36 key Wheatstone (1918 vintage) on the left, and a 38 key Jeffries (c1893 vintage) on the right. Allowing for the fact that this Jeffries has smaller buttons, the obvious difference is that the Jeffries lacks the outside row top "accidental" which naturally falls under the index finger, but gains a middle row bottom "accidental" plus one "fourth row" accidental. This Jeffries has a left thumb "drone" button (different push/pull notes) but the Wheatstone does not have a drone button. The "rake" of the Jeffries keyboard has subtle differences, as does the button spacing. The Wheatstone keyboard is more "regimented".

Hope that this might be of some assistance when "Wheatstone" or "Jeffries" Anglo keyboards are being discussed.

post-1710-1193084438_thumb.jpg

This Jeffries has a left thumb "drone" button (different push/pull notes) but the Wheatstone does not have a drone button. The "rake" of the Jeffries keyboard has subtle differences, as does the button spacing. The Wheatstone keyboard is more "regimented".

Hope that this might be of some assistance when "Wheatstone" or "Jeffries" Anglo keyboards are being discussed.

Just to keep things confused; my Wheatstone 36B does have the drone button, same push/pull notes :)

Edited by Paul Read

Just to confuse things even more, my 1924 38-key Crabb G/D has the same keyboard layout as Peter's Jeffries, but the accidentals are tuned like a Wheatstone. Of course, Crabb also made instruments for Jeffries.

By the way, this instrument is still for sale.

Edited by hjcjones