Harry Minting

Peter Stephenson

Clearing out the atic the other day I found this clipping from The Bromley Advertiser, and had to share it with you. the piece appeared between twenty and twentyfive years ago I guess, but it seems to show Harry playing the first Wheatstone which I believe is now in the care of Stephen Chambers ?

Although Harry had a rather gloomy aspect of the future of the instrument in general, would'nt it have pleased him to know it was'nt a "dying instrument"

post-82-1192132854_thumb.jpg

Clearing out the atic the other day I found this clipping from The Bromley Advertiser, and had to share it with you. the piece appeared between twenty and twentyfive years ago I guess, but it seems to show Harry playing the first Wheatstone which I believe is now in the care of Stephen Chambers ?

Although Harry had a rather gloomy aspect of the future of the instrument in general, would'nt it have pleased him to know it was'nt a "dying instrument"

It's interesting, reading this article (thanks for posting it, Peter). From another C.net posting, it appears that Harry died in 1988. I think that he probably dismissed the "Folk" players, and only commented on those who played in the "Classical" style. When I joined the ICA, in 1985, Harry's estimation of numbers would have appeared correct, judging from attendance at the meetings.

Harry Minting gave a talk at one ICA meeting, in 1987, about his time as their last Manager (I believe that was his title). I recorded his talk, and the recording is now with the ICA Sound Archive.

Regards,

Peter.

Edited by PeterT

• 13 years later...
On 10/11/2007 at 9:27 PM, PeterT said:

It's interesting, reading this article (thanks for posting it, Peter). From another C.net posting, it appears that Harry died in 1988. I think that he probably dismissed the "Folk" players, and only commented on those who played in the "Classical" style. When I joined the ICA, in 1985, Harry's estimation of numbers would have appeared correct, judging from attendance at the meetings.

Harry Minting gave a talk at one ICA meeting, in 1987, about his time as their last Manager (I believe that was his title). I recorded his talk, and the recording is now with the ICA Sound Archive.

Regards,

Peter.

On 10/11/2007 at 9:18 PM, Dirge said:

OOh so what happened to 'The best concertina ever made' (a 1925 Wheatstone, apparently) which he owned?

I'd like to hear Stanley Holloway backed by 'box too. Off to Youtube then!

I can't seem to find the ICA recording mentioned above. Please help me to access it. Regarding the best concertina ever made - it's with me perhaps? But mine was apparently made in 1926. No. 30959.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2021 at 4:05 AM, Robert Minting said:

I can't seem to find the ICA recording mentioned above. Please help me to access it. Regarding the best concertina ever made - it's with me perhaps? But mine was apparently made in 1926. No. 30959.

I believe the recording is at https://concertina.org/2020/07/06/harry-minting-at-the-ica-bloomsbury-1987/ - but it's in the members-only part of the ICA website.

• Like 1