Does The Name R.rochford Mean Anything To Anybody?

DDF

I recently bought a 1890s 30button Jeffries.I have noticed it has this name rather crudely carved into one of the ebony panels,on the instrument underside thankfully.I have included a picture of the amazing collection of springs I removed from it ,they seem to be the only thing that was ever replaced.The action boards and sides are made of mahogany which seems like a good choice being more split resistant and of far less interest to insects.The tuning is strange being B/F#.Does anyone have an idea where this type of tuning would have been used or would it have been chosen originally to go with someone singing pitch?

My guess is that B/F# wasn't it's original key. It's more likely to be Bb/F, but in a "legacy" key, sharper than current concert pitch. So it wouldsound more like B/F#, but actually be "correct" for an old brass band (an old Salvation Army instrument, maybe?).

MB

I recently bought a 1890s 30button Jeffries.I have noticed it has this name rather crudely carved into one of the ebony panels,on the instrument underside thankfully.I have included a picture of the amazing collection of springs I removed from it ,they seem to be the only thing that was ever replaced.

They seem to be some kind of ancient concertina runes with mysterious meanings. Lovely photo. Thanks for sharing.

I recently bought a 1890s 30button Jeffries.I have noticed it has this name rather crudely carved into one of the ebony panels,on the instrument underside thankfully.I have included a picture of the amazing collection of springs I removed from it ,they seem to be the only thing that was ever replaced.

They seem to be some kind of ancient concertina runes with mysterious meanings. Lovely photo. Thanks for sharing.

I think I know what some of them say"use me to hold up nappies(diapers) not levers".