Bayan On Ebay

John Wild

Hi folks.

I am not looking to buy a bayan, but I was asked to look at this by someone who does not use Ebay.

I have copied below the message I sent and the reply I received:-

Item: BAYAN Button chromatic accordion 52x100 "UKRAINE" good!

(180128318981)

This message was sent while the listing was active.

-------------------------------------------------------

MY QUESTION:[/b]

Thinking of some horror stories of the way some instruments were handled by

postal/delivery services, if i am in south east England, would collection be practical?

Thank you,eBay

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Details for item number: 180128318981

Item title: BAYAN Button chromatic accordion 52x100 "UKRAINE" good! Item

URL: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...318981&sspa

gename=ADME:B:AAQ:UK:1

End date:

Thursday, 14 Jun, 2007 17:26:29 BST

Response to Question about Item -- Respond Now

eBay sent this message on behalf of an eBay member through My Messages.

Responses sent using email will go to the eBay member directly and will include

your email address.

Response from uk-better

uk-better (13)

Positive feedback: 93.3%

Registered on: www.ebay.com

Item: BAYAN Button chromatic accordion 52x100 "UKRAINE" good!

(180128318981)

This message was sent while the listing was active. uk-better is the seller.

Of course it will shipped OK, why not?? Reading one neg feedback from stupid

person who bought the accordion for gift for his father-in-law?? Of course, maybe

his father-in-law wanted the accordion for $1000.00 instead of $200.00!! So

therefore he wasn't happy with gift and did think maybe his son-in-law was too

greedy, who knows. And therefore this stupid buyer did also left his neg to me. But if

you buying an accordion for yourself and you are capable to cope with it and to

check and adjust if necessary then it's perfect choice of inexpensive accordion!!

What for to buy an expensive instrument which will not better than mine?? Of course

every clever person will buy used accordion from former USSR because the quality

is perfect (much better than Chinese!!), made od quality materials (real leather

belts, quality chomatic metal ets). Of course you may decide but I will advice you to

buy from me. Especially I haven't many, only a few accordions left. If you are

interested to buy from me directly then I can give you photos and more info. So, you

can decide what is better for you. Best wishes, Vlad.

===============================================================

The reply answers a different question to the one I asked, and makes me dubious of the propriety of the deal. What do others think? should this be reported to ebay?

- John Wild

Can you tell Ebay you think he's not in Essex and see what happens? I wonder if he's still abroad, just pretending to be in England like the Chinese sometimes do.

On the other hand he could just be an emigre Russian in Essex with less than perfect English and a job lot of imported squeezeboxes to sell. It might be worth the journey to have a choice of instruments. Who knows? You could ask him what he's got and repeat the collection in person question. (It's not you having a clearance sale and hamming up the accent for some reason, M3838?)

Perhaps the real point is that you'll get it in the neck if you tell your mate it's OK and it isn't, so tell him the truth, namely that you haven't a clue so you'd advise he kept clear.

Can you tell Ebay you think he's not in Essex and see what happens? I wonder if he's still abroad, just pretending to be in England like the Chinese sometimes do.

Actually the listing states that the "Accordion is located in Eastern Europa and will shipped from there" and I suspect that the seller is probably in Russia, but has joined eBay UK because he sees a market there that will pay him in Western currency.

Perhaps the real point is that you'll get it in the neck if you tell your mate it's OK and it isn't, so tell him the truth, namely that you haven't a clue so you'd advise he kept clear.

I see no reason to think that he wouldn't get the instrument, but I would have doubts about the quality of it, and the condition that it is likely to be in when it arrives. :o

Off the shelf bayans from the 70es are not sought after.

If there is a chance to find an instrument from the 60es - wise idea! The sound, the craftsmanship, the reeds - much superior to even today's instruments. Even off the shelves ones were fine. 70es? - forget it.

That particular bayan "Ukraina", is nothing to write home about. But the price is tempting. However, it's probably more leaky, more heavy and less "soundy" than you would expect. And it probably doesn't have that classic bayan sound, because it's with individual alluminium reedplates. Ask about the plates.

Vlad seems to be not a criminal. The language is OK, Russians are not politically correct nor socially savvy.

If a person wants to try B system, German Ebay is full of those. $100-300 is usual price range.