Building Cases

Just sitting around thinking--what would an ideal concertina case consist of?

I was just looking at the case where I keep ammo, cleaning supplies, paper targets and othe shooting supplies, which is a retrofitted case for some surveying equpment. I recieved while helping a friend out at a plastic injection molding plant. (He used to repear the molding machines before he attempted the extreme sport of elevator catching {I think you Brits call them lifts}, long story. Any way, it was surplus at the plant they made them, a clamshell style case, and I was thinking something smaller with the right padding might make a decent style case for a concertina. Just wondering if it woud be pursuing.

Alan

I still use Prof. Wheatstone's square boxes; nothing seems as neat and tough as them and the battered look, I hope, makes them less likely to be targets than the next man's laptop, or whatever, when I'm three quarters asleep in an airport terminal.

It's interesting that W & L used boxes that sat the instrument on it's side for the better quality jobs, and only the bottom of range ones got the hexagonal efforts, yet they are very pretty, often mahogany and must have taken more making, surely. The box must have helped sell them in some way, mustn't it?

To me the best case type is one that keeps it exactly in place, for example with a hexagon shape inside (to keep away the tina from dancing inside its case). To me another favorit design feature would be that, when you pick it the case in a hurry after playing, it should be clear if the lid is eventually not fastened (to keep away the tina form dancing out of its cage).