Hello And Question

Hi,

I've been lurking for a while but this is my first post, so hello!

I purchased a cheapo Chinese C/G anglo about a year ago and have been making my way through Bertram Levy's book, as well as fooling around with some classical and Klezmer music. I've really been enjoying it, but have been a bit put off by the poor quality of the concertina. I played a friend's comparatively nicer concertina recently and immediately decided that I needed something a bit more decent (it isn't solely my poor technique!). I am quite tempted by the Rochelle, which seems pretty highly recommended on the forums here. However, before buying I've also been wondering about making the switch to an English. Without starting any flame wars, I wondered if someone could help me by answering the below:

1) Several web pages I've read imply that the English concertina is somewhat quieter and mellower than the Anglo. If this is the case, does this apply when purchasing a new concertina (e.g., Rochelle vs Jackie)? This is a consideration as I live in a converted Georgian terrace which, though lovely, has paper-thin walls and floors.

2) One style of playing I love on the Anglo is playing melody on the RH and accompaniment on the left (for example, the Constant Billy arrangement in Levy's book). Some posts I've read here suggest that this isn't as straightforward on the English given the buttons are split by on/off stave?

3) If I went the English route and bought a Jackie, would I miss not having 48 keys?

Thanks in advance!

I'd be surprised if the Jack or Jackie were significantly quieter than the Rochelle. On an English the chords will shift from one hand to the other and you'll have to mix them in with the melody. Sounds like you would like a duet but even the Stagi Hayden isn't cheap to buy. You may find the 30 keys on a Jackie a bit limiting after a while but you can always trade up afterwards at Concertina Connections without losing any money; the same applies with a Rochelle of course.

Hello yourself and welcome to the forum. :)

I'd be surprised if the Jack or Jackie were significantly quieter than the Rochelle. On an English the chords will shift from one hand to the other and you'll have to mix them in with the melody. Sounds like you would like a duet but even the Stagi Hayden isn't cheap to buy. You may find the 30 keys on a Jackie a bit limiting after a while but you can always trade up afterwards at Concertina Connections without losing any money; the same applies with a Rochelle of course.

Hello yourself and welcome to the forum. :)

Thanks for that tallship. Given the funds my girlfriend is I am allowing myself to spend on this, I think the choice is between English/Anglo. Given that neat trade-up option I think my choice is between the Jackie and the Rochelle (I don't see any sense buying a Stagi et al. with these options).

Given the funds my girlfriend is I am allowing myself to spend on this, I think the choice is between English/Anglo. Given that neat trade-up option I think my choice is between the Jackie and the Rochelle (I don't see any sense buying a Stagi et al. with these options).

Hope that your new "obsession" does not mean that the girlfriend has gone!

Here's my suggestion:

(1) Stick with the Anglo system and buy the best that you can currently almost afford. From what you say, this is likely to be you most suitable system.

(2) Give your current Chinese instrument to your girlfriend in the hope that she, too, might become obsessed. She might then look upon future expenditure more favourably.

Regards,

Peter.

PS - hope that your girlfriend does not read this Forum, otherwise she'll be a step ahead of any plans which you make!

(2) Give your current Chinese instrument to your girlfriend in the hope that she, too, might become obsessed. She might then look upon future expenditure more favourably.

My wife was looking at evening classes; I said "If you do the guitar class you can accompany me." Just one throw away comment was all it took; she can't do a clean chord change yet but she's dead keen, half an hour every day without fail. Looks like we're going to be a duo...

Damn! All that time and money invested in the duets when I too could have just bought a Rochelle.

I don't know how to write spluttering noises luckily for you two. The Lach was a pure dead-jammy opportunist 'cor I'll make a few bob on that' purchase, I'm afraid, Chris. It has a beautiful clear tone, very pure.

Actually I've just agreed to offload that EXTREMELY FINE DUET with the New Model and a strange 46 key duet as a bulk sale, which is a brilliant tidy-up and puts my concertina holding at a sensible duet plus reserve and a sweet 20 key Jones that I can't resist having a little go at. I expect my Anglo experience will be that of many faced with a duet; have a little fiddle, get bored, go back to the other system, keep it, untouched, for two years then sell it. We'll see.

I should be able to live happily ever after now, 'box wise, if I can only control that urge to go for a quick gallop on an edeophone. The things fascinate me, and I don't know why.

Edited to add Sorry Simbean, this is well off your question, isn't it. Do you live in classy Clifton, in your Georgian terrace?

Edited by Dirge

...and a sweet 20 key Jones that I can't resist having a little go at...

Truly he has been saved from his path of iniquity and depravity and returned to the path of righteousness that is the Anglo.

As it says in Psalm 40...

I waited patiently for the Lord;

he inclined to me and heard my cry.

He drew me up from the desolate pit,*

out of the miry bog, **

and set my feet upon a rock,

making my steps secure.

He put a new song in my mouth, ***

* = "desolate pit" - that'll be a Duet they're talkin' about

** = "miry bog" - Yep! It's the Duet again

*** = Hallelujah we're in Anglo land

PeterT: thanks for the advice. I've been trying to talk better half into buying/renting a cello, something she has wanted to do for a while. Perhaps after hearing my outstanding efforts on the concertina :huh: she is inclined to try it.

dirge: not classy clifton, but further into bristol. we are only renting--we're actually from Australia and are still getting over the house prices in UK

woody: I have taken great inspiration from your verse. For the moment I shall have a think, and carry on with the Chinese with the best of hopes:

"Lord, all my desire is before thee; and my groaning is not hid from thee." (Psalm 38)

YES Yes, well done, Woody (made me laugh I admit)

What's that stuff about motes beams and eyes?

Nope! None of those on an Anglo - that'll probably be an English you're thinking of. Tiz the deveels work ;)

woody: I have taken great inspiration from your verse. For the moment I shall have a think, and carry on with the Chinese with the best of hopes:

"Lord, all my desire is before thee; and my groaning is not hid from thee." (Psalm 38)

:lol:

Edited by Woody

As a follow-up newbie question (thanks for bearing with me): In a thread from last year (http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=3419) Jody Kruskal suggested the following:

Boney, all of the styles you mentioned "I'm more interested in early ragtime, old-time, and traditional songs. I'd also like to play simple classical stuff, waltzes, and the like. Also Northumbrian tunes, klezmer, Swedish...you get the idea" are great on the Anglo G/D.

Much of these styles are certainly styles I am interested in playing, and have been experimenting with on my current G/C anglo (along with some French & Breton--perhaps not so appropriate). Would there be any difference between a G/C and G/D in terms of appropriateness for such music?

You can certainly do any of those on a c/g as well, just with different fingerings. either choice has both strengths and weaknesses, most of which having to do with notes available for you to play. I find that I can play in F and D easily, as well as C and G, and play in other keys as well.

Alan

What's that stuff about motes beams and eyes?
Nope! None of those on an Anglo - that'll probably be an English you're thinking of.

Wen me eye falls on a nice English, I beams, eye does! :)

But th' only concertina I remember as fallin' in a mote -- a canal, ennyway -- wuz a anglo b'longing to Jeffrie somebody.

Tiz the deveels work ;)

A new maker of "English" concertinas? Great!! What are his prices and waiting time? Does he have a web site? :unsure:

Tiz the deveels work ;)

A new maker of "English" concertinas? Great!! What are his prices and waiting time?

He operates an innovative payment plan which has little upfront costs - but be careful because you might be burnt by the Terms & Conditions. I believe he has an unlimited supply.

Does he have a web site?

From years of using the Internet I suspect that he has all the websites. :ph34r:

You can certainly do any of those on a c/g as well, just with different fingerings. either choice has both strengths and weaknesses, most of which having to do with notes available for you to play. I find that I can play in F and D easily, as well as C and G, and play in other keys as well.

Thanks, I think that settles it--a Rochelle it is!