Hi Everybody! Newbie Aboard...

First of all, thank you very much to everybody at this forum. I've been lurking for a while before registering and finally purchased a Rochelle instead a honner, and I've to say that i'm very happy with this.

I've been playing irish music on fiddle since 12 years ago, and always wanted to put my hands on a concertina; but they were too expensive or too bad. Now i'm trying to learn my 2nd instrument after fiddle, and only can say that i'm feel really excited!

Begining with an 'easy' tune that first learned on the fiddle: Súile Shuibhne, by Niall Vallely. Indeed, is a little tricky with all those semitones, but enough slow so I could understand were the notes are... and is a very beatiful tune!

Btw, please feel free to correct my grammar / spelling... I'm not a native english speaker - from Madrid, Spain -.

All the best

Welcome Fergus! You've got the right idea starting with a tune that you already know - you're only struggling to get to know the instrument instead of learning a new tune as well.

Enjoy the challenge of learning to play concertina and post all you like here - there's always someone with an answer (or several people with several answers!) to your concertina questions here!

Samantha

My partner is heading in the opposite direction to you - after many years of playing concertina she took up fiddle about 2 years ago. She'll get there, but it's a bit painful at times en route ...

Welcome aboard.

Chris

Begining with an 'easy' tune that first learned on the fiddle: Súile Shuibhne, by Niall Vallely. Indeed, is a little tricky with all those semitones, but enough slow so I could understand were the notes are... and is a very beatiful tune!

Btw, please feel free to correct my grammar / spelling... I'm not a native english speaker - from Madrid, Spain

Welcome aboard. I wish my Spanish was anything like as good as your English & I'd be embarrassed to correct your English grammar as I suspect you know more about it that I do :o

Welcome aboard. I wish my Spanish was anything like as good as your English & I'd be embarrassed to correct your English grammar as I suspect you know more about it that I do :o

Thank you very much for all your kind answers and encoraugement.

Woody, you're right :lol: Despite the fact that i've been playing for years with irish musicians - very few - in Madrid, my girlfriend is english - mancunian - and english languaje teacher, too. I sometimes mess my brain thinking in spanish and speaking in english & vice versa; she laughs a lot with my mistakes, sure my written english is better than the spoken one...

Changing subject, concertina is indeed a very rare instrument in irish sessions in Spain. You can find lots uf flutes, whistles, bouzoukis & uilleann pipes :blink: , but very few free reed instruments. So, between button accordion and concertina, finally I decided to choose the last one because I like very much its sweet tone.

I hope learn a lot from all you more experienced players.

Best regards.