How Rare Are 50 Button Anglos ?

nkgibbs

Hello,

I have been searching the web trying to find information about 50 button anglos (see below). They don't seem to appear on old catalogues/price lists and so I wonder whether they were made-to-order specials. I would appreciate hearing your views.

Thanks,

Neil

It looks like the one that Chris Algar has on Ebay. Probably quite a nice player. I wonder if it comes with a trailer to transport it in :ph34r:

I'm not sure I've encountered a 50-button one myself.

It is the one that Chris HAD on ebay. Apparently it isn't that much bigger than a standard box but maybe you are refering to its weight??!!

I have been searching the web trying to find information about 50 button anglos (see below). They don't seem to appear on old catalogues/price lists and so I wonder whether they were made-to-order specials.

Neil,

A "made-to-order special" is exactly what it strikes me as. I don't believe I've never seen an Anglo with a 4-row treble and 3-row bass before, the fingering could be just about anything ... :huh:

I have been searching the web trying to find information about 50 button anglos (see below). They don't seem to appear on old catalogues/price lists and so I wonder whether they were made-to-order specials.

Neil,

A "made-to-order special" is exactly what it strikes me as. I don't believe I've never seen an Anglo with a 4-row treble and 3-row bass before, the fingering could be just about anything ... :huh:

Dear Stephen,

This seems to be the general conclusion of the various feedback that I have received :unsure: . There appears to be a normal 30 button layout within the 50 keys :D but I am still mapping out the other 40 notes! :o

Thanks,

Neil

Many thanks for all your fascinating replies. I went to visit Roy Whiteley this afternoon and with a better tuner we determioned that the home keys of the 50 key Lachenal were Bflat and F (as originally stated by Chris Algar) and the pitch was 456Hz, which I understand was the tuning that the Salvation Army used?

The number on both bellow ends is 97477 which, I think, dates it to about 1900.

Anyway, Roy is going to work his magic on the mechanics and cosmetics of the box while I decide what to do about the tuning.

Best wishes,

Neil

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

This 50 button has now been restored mechanically and the un-edited high res pictures can be found here

50 key webpage

Just double-click on each file to open it.

The first few show the original condition and the last dozen or so the finished article, the bits in between are for my records really and a bit repetative.

Please note that as yet the metal ends and ebony are not restored.

Take a look at the conjestion in the levers to the right of the right hand side.

The last two images are the tuning as found at 454Hz i.e. Bb/F.

Any ideas as to what the missing reed might be would be appreciated, marked with a '?' on the right.

The reeds are actually stamped for a C/G BUT this is found only to be true at 404Hz !!

Any ideas regarding why it should have been tuned so low? French chamber music ??? OR has it been changed to a high Bb/F to start with?

The instrument plays very well indeed, loud as required but not harsh in any way.

Regards

Roy Whiteley