Do We Have Any Rock And Roll Concertinas Out There?

Delbert Blackketter

Hmmm..

Inspired by this, I just worked out "Cocaine Blues", the Johnny Cash version, not the Clapton/Cale one. The Clapton song is a completely different tune.

Anyway, it came out pretty well. Give it a try, it's a simple one- row tune that rocks as well as could be wanted.

Robert

Sounds good (in my mind). Are you able to post a recording?

Del

I wouldn't say it is rock and roll in any way shape or form but Jon Boden's recent solo album Painted lady has some effective playing on it. The talented so and so plays all instruments and to my mind ploughs an interesting English Tom Waitsish furrow.

Trilby

I suppose seeing as I've been cited already I ought to chip in ;)

My view is that pretty much anything can be made to work on concertina, I think, so long as you have the time and inclination to work out how it might translate to the instrument.

Apart from my normal folk repertoire I play all sorts of odd things on box - my taste in electric music is what gets loosely categorised as "alternative" (a meaningless label if ever there was one); apart from the Jesus & Mary Chain/Soft Cell/Smiths covers etc. that are on the Recorded Tune page, I've tried things like

I'm Waiting For The Man by The Velvet Underground (my Jeffries duet is often given a battering with this song)

Pale Blue Eyes and All Tomorrow's Parties by the same

Ocean Rain by Echo & The Bunnymen

Bill Is Dead by The Fall

Grace Kelly Blues by Eels

It's a Shame About Ray by the Lemonheads

plus Various early Pink Floyd songs (currently trying to fathom out how "Apples and Oranges" might be made to work)

and then from the "embarrassing 80s pop" category, things like

Take On Me by A-Ha

Going Down To Liverpool by The Bangles

Thing is though, I spend most of my time playing trad stuff but the influences of years spent listening to loud guitars always creeps through. I was working on an arrangement of the trad song "The Seeds Of Love" last night, based upon the bass riff from Public Image Limited's song "This Is Not A Love Song", on my Maccann... :rolleyes:

Edited by stuart estell

Wow, some seriously unexpected covers there ! It has made me dig out my echo and the bunnymen lps for the first time in 15 years so you have done me a great favour. Is this going to be a growth area as midi and such like takes hold...... I think I like it. "Silver machine" anyone or how about Captain Beefheart's " Bat Chain Puller". This could be the new Mornington Crescent ! ( Oh dear I'm getting carried away again).

Trilby

Wow, some seriously unexpected covers there ! It has made me dig out my echo and the bunnymen lps for the first time in 15 years so you have done me a great favour. Is this going to be a growth area as midi and such like takes hold...... I think I like it. "Silver machine" anyone or how about Captain Beefheart's " Bat Chain Puller".

That's right, The Mascara Snake, fast 'n' bulbous! :lol:

Beefheart on concertina, now that really is an idea - why didn't I think of that... B) One of the less unconventional Trout Mask Replica tunes like "Moonlight On Vermont" might work really well...

(Edit) - incidentally, Trilby, one Bunnymen song I've thought about trying on concertina but haven't got round to is The Cutter, mostly because it's a b*gger to sing!

Edited by stuart estell

Hey,

I've been outta town over the long weekend (canoe camping in the rain... :ph34r: !?!).

Anyway, I don't have a way to post a file on Cocaine Blues, (Work and library machines; I won't have a machine in the house) but I'm sure that someone will be able to figure it out.

The other suggestions are great! I'll see what I can work out to a few.

Fun thread!

RB

Beefheart on concertina, now that really is an idea - why didn't I think of that... B) One of the less unconventional Trout Mask Replica tunes like "Moonlight On Vermont" might work really well...

As the good captain would say "hit that long lunar note and let it float" if I remeber rightly...

• 2 weeks later...
Bulbous, also tapered!
I think I'll try to work up "Sweet Sweet Bulbs"!

In the meantime I got reminded of another song from a rock band (even if it's not quite a rock song) that I could work up on concertina: "Salt of the Earth" by The Rolling Stones.

It is a while since Ithe stones were on my play list. Which album is it on I might check it out? The Stones on concertina......... not as strange as it sounds, like it. Would "As Tears Go By" be too obvious?

Regards

Trilby

Speaking of the Stones, "No Expectations" is dead easy on any diatonic instrument.

Or try the immortal Marty Robbins' "El Paso , a kind of "neo-corrida" that I've always liked, or even "Big Iron", both of which lean (drunkenly) toward Country and Western, but both can rock if you push 'em hard.