Hissing Button Question

I've just started playing the concertina. I have a Jackie. I've noticed that one of the buttons hesitates when I'm opening the bellows and is fine when I'm closing them. (hesitates = "hisses" for a second before kicking in) Does anyone know why this happens and what I can do to fix it?? Any help would be appreacitated! Thanks!

I've just started playing the concertina. I have a Jackie. I've noticed that one of the buttons hesitates when I'm opening the bellows and is fine when I'm closing them. (hesitates = "hisses" for a second before kicking in) Does anyone know why this happens and what I can do to fix it?? Any help would be appreacitated! Thanks!

Likely a reed set/profile issue:

Set here refers to the tip opening or the distance from the tip of the reed to the plane of the reed carrier

A reed set too high will start slow with an audible passing gas noise.

A reed set too low can choke when played "hard"

Profile issue:

A reed with a decurved or downward profile as it enters the plane of the reed carrier will start slower than a reed that enters parallel to the plane of the reed carrier. Aggressive attempts at reed tuning can alter the profile of a reed. Dull files or diamond files that scratch rather than cut can "bend" a reed.

Reeds should be reset or reprofiled carefully preferable by someone who has already goofed up a couple of reeds and has the prerequiste fear and respect for thin pieces of metal.

I hope this is helpful...you caught me with coffee and a couple of minutes of time.

Bob