Buying Advice

PJF

Hi.

I'm planning to buy one of the following 2 concertinas:

http://www.hobgoblin.com/local/bigpic.php?ID=GR4812 at £249.00

Scarlatti. Chinese made, plastic buttons.

http://www.hobgoblin.com/local/bigpic.php?ID=GR4802 at £499.00

Stagi. Italian made, leather bellows, steel reeds.

Is the price difference worth it? It's probably something I'll keep for quite a while, so I'm inclined to think that the better materials of the Stagi would be more durable. But I've been told that the sound is quite similar...

Any advice?...

TIA, Pedro.

Shouldn't you consider a Lachenal too? I don't follow English prices but my impression is that you could get a beginners instrument that would appreciate rather than depreciate and probably be better as well without going too overboard price-wise?

Edited by Dirge

Shouldn't you consider a Lachenal too? I don't follow English prices but my impression is that you could get a beginners instrument that would appreciate rather than depreciate and probably be better as well without going too overboard price-wise?

I started with a second hand 30B Stagi, which I brought up to as new playable condition, it was a great start. I paid $120 for it on Ebay, then put about 4 hours into fixing bellows and buttons. Shortly afterwards I bought a 20B Lachenal, and the Stagi NEVER gets played anymore. I bought my Lachenal on Ebay for about $300, and it is far more satisfying to play then the Stagi. I had to fix it up too, but nothing major. I would never recommend paying full retail price for a Stagi. If you're not into fixing things up, buy one that's already refurbished. They go for about $400 - $500. Just my opinion...

I started on a 48 button black Stagi just like the one pictured. It wasn't too bad. About 6 months later, after I sort of figured out the fingering, I bought my first vintage Wheatstone. I notice the Chris Algar has a Stagi on ebay right now you might want to consider. I find the vintage Wheatstones I now have much easier to play and I like their sound better. Unless I'm playing where I expect the conditions to be bad I now play them instead of the Stagi. (I still use the Stagi for our annual dancing in the lap pool party.) I recommend that you check availability of low end vintage EC's. At approximately 500 pounds you may find that there are other options open to you.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by Larry Stout

It's probably something I'll keep for quite a while, so I'm inclined to think that the better materials of the Stagi would be more durable.
I don't know of anyone who's kept such instruments for "quite a while" - unless there is absolutely no way they could afford anything better. In such case they have to put up with them despite their problems/limitations all while realizing more and more how much better the better ones are.

-- Rich --

It's probably something I'll keep for quite a while, so I'm inclined to think that the better materials of the Stagi would be more durable.
I don't know of anyone who's kept such instruments for "quite a while" - unless there is absolutely no way they could afford anything better. In such case they have to put up with them despite their problems/limitations all while realizing more and more how much better the better ones are.

-- Rich --

I started out on a Hohner many years ago, then put it into "storage" when I acquired a Wheatstone Treble and a Wheatstone Baritone. Recently I pulled it out the Hohner and played it. I was surprised at the ease of fingering jigs and reels, and the reasonable tone in playing airs.

I had understood that Hohners and Stagis were made by the same producer. Is there a difference between a Hohner and a Stagi?

Rod