Third Annual Southwest Concertina Workshop

3rd Annual Southwest Concertina Squeeze-In

At the Palestine Old Time Music Festival

March 27-31, 2007, Palestine Texas

The chill of winter shall soon pass, and spring comes early to the pineywoods of East Texas, where the dogwood and azaleas will soon be in full bloom….and the third annual Southwest Concertina Squeeze-In shall hold forth within the Palestine Old Time Music Festival.

This will be a banner year, with more stuff going on than ever before:

•Continuing the general theme of American Old Time music on the concertina, Jody Kruskal will hold a series of workshops, some for all systems and some tailored to the anglo. We will examine three well known tunes: Puncheon Floor, Angelina Baker and Big Scioty. Learn the fundamentals of melody, chords and double stops with a bellows driven old-time rhythm. Jody comes to old-time music through his playing for contra dances with the bands Grand Picnic, Squeezology and Hog Wild. He will show you the details of how he achieves his unique harmonic concertina sound that emulates the fiddle and compliments old-time southern string band tunes. Registrants will be sent sheet music and recordings of Jody playing the tunes at various speeds, so they can get familiar with them in advance (see below).

•The All Systems concertina band (aka ‘Free Reed Calliope’) will be back! This time Mark Gilston has chosen some crackerjack Shape Note classics for four part harmony, and we’ll try some dance tunes as well (with a reprise for the elegant Magnolia Waltz).

Beginners’ workshops and system-specific get-togethers. Those who have been before know how it works: just ask someone early in the week, and we’ll try to set it up. Duets Anonymous rides again.

Concertina repair session, hosted as usual by Texas anglo builder Harold Herrington. Bring the squeaky reeds and the broken springs. Harold will be showing off some of his new design anglos, too.

•We’ll fire up the lantern slide projector for a brief concertina history presentation: Dan Worrall on results of his research on the history of usage of the Anglo concertina in the US. The short answer: everywhere from covered wagons to the Confederate navy to minstrel shows, Irish immigrants to Sally Army to Hollywood. The talk is illustrated with period photographs and will be published later this year.

•Join in jam sessions each day and night with old time musicians in a very friendly environment

Concerts every night featuring noted old time players and singers, including Jody Kruskal

•All of these activities are for all skill levels; everyone is cordially invited.

Please register in advance. The overall Festival has a modest entrance fee payable at the door by all attendees including concertinists (see festival site at http://www.geocities.com/palestinefestival/ for details). In addition, this year we will ask an extra fee from concertina folk only of $30, solely to help defray Jody’s travel and lodging costs. All concertinists who are planning to attend are requested to please send an email to Dan via the www.concertina.net Forum (look ‘Dan Worrall’ up under the Members tab on the home page, and then click the button for sending me an email). You will be sent three items by return email: 1) more detailed concertina workshop information , 2) an address for sending your $30 fee, and 3) sheet music for this year’s Concertina Band tunes. Upon receipt of your fee by mail, we will also send you MP3 recordings of Jody playing the tunes at three speeds, solo, plus sheet music, in both normal musical mutation (for English and Duets) and in anglo tablature with fingerings. This should allow us all a chance to get a bit familiar with the tunes beforehand…no need to work on them though!

Accommodations and other logistics. A list of hotels is given on the Festival website), which also has details on performers and scheduling. A favorite hotel of past concertinists has been the Best Western, which has special rates for the festival; register early, because it fills up! If arriving by air, Palestine is about a 90 minute drive from Dallas, or 2 and ½ hours from Houston. There are plenty of diversions for non-musical spouses and family, including a 19th century working steam railroad that runs from Palestine to Rusk Texas and back, a dogwood trail in a large nearby forest park (this is high season for these blooming trees), antiques, home tours, etc.

Tentative Schedule

Thursday March 29.

Afternoon. After getting situated in your lodgings, register at the main festival desk (by that time you will have pre-registered for the concertina workshops), and gather in the main building to swap tunes and meet each other.

Evening. We concertinists will go off to dinner together around 5:00pm. Jody will be there and will talk a bit on his goals for his workshops. We’ll also plan out the concertina band practice sessions and the various unscheduled concertina workshops, so bring your requests.

Later, the first evening festival concert (around 7pm).

Still later, old time music sessions (many).

Friday March 30

Morning.

Jody’s Workshop, Old Time Music for All Concertina Systems 1.

Beginner’s workshop, all systems.

Jody’s workshop, Old Time Music for Anglos 1 (others invited to listen in!)

Lunchtime festival concert

Afternoon

Concertina band practice 1 (all systems and skill levels…this means you!)

Repair workshop

Various System-specific get-togethers (Duets; English; anglos)

Dinner together

Evening festival concert (will include Jody and various other headliners)

Later in evening: Tune Sessions (many)

Saturday

Morning.

Jody’s Workshop, Old Time music for All Systems 2.

Concertina band practice 2 (all systems)

Jody’s workshop, Old Time Music for Anglos 2 (others invited to listen in!)

Lunchtime festival concert (the Concertina Band will likely perform, among others)

Afternoon

Repair workshop

Various System-specific get-togethers (Duets; English; anglos)

Dinner together

Evening festival concert (will include Jody and various other headliners)

Later in evening: Tune Sessions (many)

NOTE on workshops and timing: other workshops at festival will include ones for a variety of instruments taught by the other headliners, including fiddle, autoharp, hammered dulcimer, dulcimer, guitar, mandolin, etc. One not to miss is the Shape Note Singing workshop, which was awesome last year. At this festival, these workshops are not scheduled until daily in the early morning…so we concertinas do likewise, and tend to keep an eye out for shape note singing so that there will not be a conflict on that one.

See you there, and don’t forget to register by Forum email!

I'm so excited!

Dan, when do you think the tunes will be ready for distribution?

Early next week, I hope!

Meanwhile, here is a song that seems appropriate, if only because of the title....it is a 1920's vaudeville song. Anyone have the dots to this?

post-976-1168579675_thumb.jpg

PALESTEENA

by J. Russel Robinson & Con Conrad

In the Bronx of New York City

Lived a girl, she's not so pretty

Lena is her name.

Such a clever girl is Lena

How she played her concertina

Really, it's a shame.

She's such a good musician

She got a swell position

To go across the sea to entertain.

And so they shipped poor Lena

Way out to Palesteena

From what they tell me, she don't look the same.

They say that Lena is the Queen o' Palesteena

Just because she plays the concertina.

She only knows one song,

She plays it all day long

Sometimes she plays it wrong,

But still they love it

What more of it

I heard her play once or twice.

Oh! Murder! Still, it was nice.

All the girls, they dress like Lena

Some wear oatmeal, some Farina

Down old Palesteena way.

Lena, she's the Queen o' Palesteena

Goodness, how they love her concertina.

Each movement of her wrist

Just makes them shake and twist

They simply can't resist

How they love it

Want more of it.

When she squeeks

That squeeze-box stuff

All those folks

Just can't get enough.

She got fat as he got Lena

Pushing on her concertina

Down old Palesteena way.

Meanwhile, here is a song that seems appropriate, if only because of the title....it is a 1920's vaudeville song. Anyone have the dots to this?

post-976-1168579675_thumb.jpg

PALESTEENA

by J. Russel Robinson & Con Conrad

Dan:

Is this the correct one:

http://levysheetmusic.mse.jhu.edu/otcgi/llscgi60

Unfortunately you have to re-enter "palesteena" in the search for the correct page, then click on the individual pages when it comes up. Each page is a jpeg file that can then be right clicked, then save as, to put it on your computer. This is as close to it you can get with a link.

There is a midi file on the bottom of this page:

http://www.israelfaxx.com/about.htm

Thanks

Leo

Edited by Leo

I bet when you first planned a concertina event in Palestine nobody ever guessed that there was a song rhyming the two words.

Actually I have that on an old recording by Phyllis Stein.

Del

David,

As they say in New Orleans, "You right!" The weird thing is that the town folk are ever quick to correct pronunciation to 'Palesteen', not 'Palestine'....so the song got that right too.

Del,

How about posting the MP3? If it is 1920's it should be out of copyright. That would be great!!

By the way, there is even a nice joke (a play on words) about the town's name. You need to know a little geography...:

A Texas man went to the local church and asked to Join. The preacher said, "OK, but you have to pass a small bible test first." The first question is 'Where was Jesus born?" The man answered "Longview". The preacher said "Sorry...you can't join our church." Soooooo....he went to another church and asked to join. The preacher said "We would love to have you but you have to pass a bible test first. "Where was Jesus born?" The man said "Tyler". The preacher said "Sorry...you can't join our church. Soooo....he goes to another church and asked to join. The preacher said "That's great we welcome you with open arms." The man said "I don't have to pass no Bible test first?" The preacher said "No." The man said "Can I ask you a question?" The preacher said "Sure." The man said "Where was Jesus born?" The preacher said "Palestine." The man mumbled to himself "I knew it was in East Texas somewhere."

Edited by Dan Worrall

Actually I have that on an old recording by Phyllis Stein.

Del

Well, maybe I was wrong about 'Phyllis Stein' (or it may be a bad pun), but here is a link to an MP3 recording of the tune.

http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.php/1077800

Description: 5:33 minutes MP3 song title of Jinny Marsh

# 3 on album Klezmerika Eklectika

Written by: Con Conrad, J. Russell Robinson

Published by: WB Music Corp

Label: Jinny Marsh

3rd Annual Southwest Concertina Squeeze-In

At the Palestine Old Time Music Festival

March 27-31, 2007, Palestine Texas

The chill of winter shall soon pass, and spring comes early to the pineywoods of East Texas, where the dogwood and azaleas will soon be in full bloom….and the third annual Southwest Concertina Squeeze-In shall hold forth within the Palestine Old Time Music Festival.

This just to let pre-registrants know that the following listed workshop materials have been emailed to them; please let me know if you think you should have received them and haven't. Also, if you haven't registered yet (by dropping me an email via the Forum; see first posting for instructions)....you could be listenting to Jody play some of these tunes already!

There will be some more mailings in coming weeks (another old time tune from Jody with transcription). Also, if you want a slower or faster MP3 rendition of Jody playing his workshop tunes, just let me know....I have them.

Looking forward to seeing (and hearing) you there,

Dan

Mailing 1: Band Tunes:

Legend for the Tablature (for reading anglo tablature on Jody’s Tunes)

Magnolia Waltz (Old Time Waltz, all systems)

PeekabooWaltz (Old Time Waltz, all systems)

Shape Note Hymns (All systems):

Main Ones: Sherburne, Vermont, Lennox

Extras: Northfield, Exit, Phoebus

Mailing 2: Jody’s tunes:

1.Angelina Baker, anglo version

2. Angelina Baker, all-systems version

3. Puncheon Floor, anglo version

4. Puncheon floor, variations

5. Puncheon Floor, all systems

Mailing 3: Jody Playing Tunes

MP3, Puncheon Floor, medium speed

Mailing 4: Jody Playing Tunes

MP3, Angelina Baker, medium speed

Dan,

Can we get an MP3 of Peekaboo Waltz?

Edited to add: which shapenote book did you get the shapenote jpgs from? No matter what I do they are printing as thumbnails that I can't read. I was just going to use my "big red book."

Edited by Rhomylly

Dan,

Edited to add: which shapenote book did you get the shapenote jpgs from? No matter what I do they are printing as thumbnails that I can't read. I was just going to use my "big red book."

Rhomylly,

One good (and free MP3) recording of Peekaboo Waltz is that on Alan Jabbour's Henry Reed site (Fiddle Tunes of the Old Frontier). If you don't know of Henry Reed, it is worth spending an hour or so walking through that site. Or just listen to the recording. http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/collections/reed/

I don't know the book the shape note tunes came from....Mark Gilston sent them to me. You might try emailing him (he is a Forum member). If you have printing trouble, try logging in to your email account at your local public library, and printing it there...their software may be more up to date. They are all jpgs...and in theory should not present a special problem (famous last words!). Let me know if that doesn't work.

Cheers,

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Although I expect you have Jody's sound files by now, you can find a creditable midi version of dozens of oldtimey (and Celtic) tunes at http://hetzler.homestead.com/music_3.html and associated pages that'll help you get started on the general sound of the tune. Peekaboo Waltz, Big Scioty, Puncheon Floor and Angeline the Baker are all there, arranged by key.

• 3 weeks later...

Good Day,

This message is for Dan Worrall. I am interested in the concertina classes and would like more information on how to register. I tried going to the link geo old time music but did not see any information about concertina classes or how to register. Could you please contact me directly at asitnalta@yahoo.com so I can get information from you? Would appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks.

Benny Aguirre

Hi Benny!

I'm not Dan, but I think I can answer your question. I attended last year, and I will definitely be there again this year!

All you have to do is:

1. Let Dan know you're planning to come and make arrangements to add to the collection to bring Jody Kruskal there.

2. Register for the Old Time Music and Dulcimer festival when you get to the school/museum in Palestine ($60)

3. The concertina players tend to hang out as a unit and attend all our own "workshops" together all the time. Heck, most of us even go to lunch and dinner together! Since we aren't 100% sure what workshops we're going to offer each other until we get there, there's nothing extra to register for :)

I hope this helps, and I hope you can come!

p.s. Dan -- did you send out the dots for Big Scioty and I just deleted it? Could you send or resend?

Signed, the Problem Child

Hi Benny!

I'm not Dan, but I think I can answer your question. I attended last year, and I will definitely be there again this year!

p.s. Dan -- did you send out the dots for Big Scioty and I just deleted it? Could you send or resend?

Signed, the Problem Child

Dear Problem Child,

Thanks for helping out Benny. I just returned from an overseas trip and have had no access to emails. I sent the details and the concertina group music to Benny.

As far as Big Sciote goes, I am woefully behind in noting it. So far, you should have the MP3 of it, but not the sheet music...yet! Pre-registrants should also already have the sheet music (and anglo tablature) and MP3s of the other two tunes Jody will teach. I hope to get Sciote scooted out this week. Just as a reminder, I can also send superslow or completely up to tempo MP3s of the Jody tunes to registrants on request.

Pre-registration is going very well, and this year's workshop is shaping up nicely indeed. Also, after a week's absence in European winter, I see that springtime in SE Texas is coming along nicely too. Looks like not only the dogwood and azaleas, but also the bluebonnets and Indian paintbrush will be out for Palestine, as we are getting a bit of a late start with spring...those latter two wildflowers are usually finished by late March.

Any others who wish to join us, you are most welcome! Just send me an email via this Forum (see above instructions) and I'll help you with the rest and get you some music...

Cheers,

Dan