Old Concertina Bands

I have recently had the great pleasure of listening to some wonderful recordings of some of the old concertina bands.I can only but marvel at the wonderful sound they produce and their musical skills.The sound is so similar to a Colliery Brass Band it could easily be mistaken for one.How sad it is that these great bands no longer exist, a time gone by never probably to return.

I will definitely be including some of these recordings on English International,I have fallen in love with the sound and you will have to put up with my new found passion.

It would not take very much persuasion to put out a band CD when I get to the end of this marathon.I am so excited by it. I may however be the only one to buy a copy.

Al

Al. have you thought about including a track or 2 from Nigel Pickles's record of the 'reconstituted' Mexborough Concertina Band?

Thanks for your suggestion Dave. We have made a policy of not including tracks from existing CDs unless they are out of print. You will not be unhappy with our final selection of bands however.The Heywood Concertina Band,Plymouth Salvation Army Band,Butliegh Court Band (I still need permission to use this one). We also have some new band recordings in the pipeline that we may (should) include and I will be working with Jim Ward today cleaning them up for possible inclusion.More details to follow. These large bands are just incredible to listen to. The recordings by the way are very clean considering some date back to the twenties and the full force and sound they generate, will I am sure, be appreciated.

Al

Having heard over 60 concertinas being played at once at Kilve on occasions I see what you mean.

Is there any mileage in any ameteur recordings done of the band sessions at these weekends, or Witney?

Robin Madge

Robin I have a copy of the recording taken of over 120 concertina players playing "Springtime in Battersea" (Tommy Williams) led by Tim Laycock, I am seriously considering that one.

I have spent today at Jim's working on the newly aquired Stephen Chambers archive collection and once again I have marvelled at these old bands.I may make the following alterations,that The Plymouth Salvation Army Band and Butleigh Court Band be moved to Duet ,so I can use most of these great recordings.

I have another Heywood Band Recording, (plus another spare) a wonderful recording of The Ashton under Lynne Prize Concertina Band playing "Glow Worm" and an old recording of The Premier Concertina Band.

I also have the Ernest Rutterford (playing English and not his usual Duet),the rare recording mentioned recently and two of the great Alf Edwards.

Al

Thanks for your suggestion Dave. We have made a policy of not including tracks from existing CDs unless they are out of print.

Is Nigel's record available on CD? I've got the original on vinyl which I can't play any more. I've looked for it on CD but haven't been able to find it.

If I did the Band Compilation I would definitely consider The New Mexborough Band,I had a few recordings of them live which I listened to ,but for various reasons none were suitable.

There is a lot of time involved investigating old recordings 78s ,33 1/3s and CDs for ownership and copyright. Some even changing ownership without the artist sometimes knowing about it.It would certainly be worth the time and effort if I had not already had sufficient band recordings for the collection.

We adopted the policy of not using existing tracks from CDs etc due to the fact that a dedicated collector could assemble an identical collection from his collection.We thought it best where possible to try and get artists to record new material where possible (there are some exceptions to this) this is the main reason William Kimber was not on Anglo International as his recordings are readily available.

Al

• 1 year later...

English International features two old recordings of Ashton under Lyne Who were World Champions at the time and The Heywood Band who were runners up.

Recorded in 1935

In my view these are perhaps the best examples of Concertina Bands you will ever hear, Graham and I are waiting on the response to these recordings before making a future decision on a Concertina Band CD. In the meanwhile I am collecting recordings just in case it happens.If you remember the early examples of

band recordings I posted gave some of you a headache. I suppose we could include a packet of Aspirins in with the CD.

I would be grateful for a feed back on the Band recordings when you have heard them.

My personal view is that they are fantastic or better.

Al

Graham and I are waiting on the response to these recordings before making a future decision on a Concertina Band CD. In the meanwhile I am collecting recordings just in case it happens.

Al

I am in the U.S. but it seems that many of you are from England (maybe most). Do you have an area where many, many of your concertina players (with your picking of the best of players for the purpose) could get together on some week-end(s) to make your own concertina band music and produce that until such time as you can get all these old band recordings together? I'd like to hear it though I have no idea what it would be like or if I'd need some of those aspirins. :)

Thanks,

Regie

Edited by Regie

Graham and I are waiting on the response to these recordings before making a future decision on a Concertina Band CD. In the meanwhile I am collecting recordings just in case it happens.

Al

I am in the U.S. but it seems that many of you are from England (maybe most). Do you have an area where many, many of your concertina players (with your picking of the best of players for the purpose) could get together on some week-end(s) to make your own concertina band music and produce that until such time as you can get all these old band recordings together? I'd like to hear it though I have no idea what it would be like or if I'd need some of those aspirins. :)

Thanks,

Regie

It already happens Regie at some of the Weekend Festivals,both here and in America . The problem is like choirs ,you need to practice as a group for hours,the tightness of a number of players takes time and the Weekend get togethers are for fun and to experience what it is like to make mass concertina music.The playing standards vary and the reading of music for the parts vary.The result is great entertainment for those who participate, but for reproducing that sound on a CD will definitely require an Aspirin for the listener and for someone like me who has listened to it for hours on end a considerable number.

Al

... The problem is like choirs ,you need to practice as a group for hours,the tightness of a number of players takes time and the Weekend get togethers are for fun and to experience what it is like to make mass concertina music.The playing standards vary and the reading of music for the parts vary.Al

Alan,

There is a newish concertina band striving to play to a very high standard, and rehearsing regularly to that end, based on WCCP players under the directorship of Claire Wren. They are called 'Junction25' and gave their first performance at Kilve this last March. There was a brief write-up by Jenny Cox in the last ICA newsletter. I think that anyone who was at Kilve can vouch for the excellent sound they produced. I admit to bias, having been, but no longer, a member.

John

Edited by John Adey

Regie,

Nesi generally has a concertina band that gets together for that weekend and plays a tune saturday evening. I don't know where you are at, but if you are in the northeast, it would be worth it for you try to get there, as it is a good opportunity to experience a wide variety of things concertina.

Alan

when I played with the new mexborough concertina quartet,we met and practised every week.

we also sought out,a conductor,who was experienced with brass bands,so that we could improve our playing.

the result was that we beat the west country concertina band .

Beat them at what, or with what?

Was there a competition or a sado-masochistic orgy?

Edited by John Adey

when I played with the new mexborough concertina quartet,we met and practised every week.

we also sought out,a conductor,who was experienced with brass bands,so that we could improve our playing.

we beat them at a music competition, at the Taunton music and drama festival

I was not aware of that event Dick; I can't imagine the Mexborough Quartet could be bettered when they were around, even at such a prestigeous event as the Taunton music and drama festival. The band I referred to though, Junction25, is only a year old and could not have been involved.

'I think I would find it difficult to have a sado masochistic orgy with the west country concertina players.'

Eh, come on, use a little - well, OK, a lot of - imagination!

we beat them at a music competition, at the Taunton music and drama festival

I was not aware of that event Dick; I can't imagine the Mexborough Quartet could be bettered when they were around, even at such a prestigeous event as the Taunton music and drama festival. The band I referred to though, Junction25, is only a year old and could not have been involved.

'I think I would find it difficult to have a sado masochistic orgy with the west country concertina players.'

Eh, come on, use a little - well, OK, a lot of - imagination!

the west country concertina players circa 1985.23 years ago.

Well before my time Dick, but although you weren't impressed by our concertina work at least the west country was sufficiently attractive a place for Nigel Pickles to settle in Taunton.

The Mexborough Quartet was a fine achievement. Having been born and raised in Mexborough and still having lots of family there, I was delighted to find your work when I started playing - both for the musical interest and the sentimental attachment to my Mexborough roots. Any chance of a revival?

Regie,

Nesi generally has a concertina band that gets together for that weekend and plays a tune saturday evening. I don't know where you are at, but if you are in the northeast, it would be worth it for you try to get there, as it is a good opportunity to experience a wide variety of things concertina.

Alan

Massachusetts is too far from Memphis, TN for me. It would likely have to be a lot closer for me to ever get to anything like this in my advancing age. :( Is there anything like this NESI event closer to the mid-south USA?

Thanks much,

Regie

Massachusetts is too far from Memphis, TN for me. It would likely have to be a lot closer for me to ever get to anything like this in my advancing age. :( Is there anything like this NESI event closer to the mid-south USA?

Thanks much,

Regie

Not that I know of. Mid-south would be closer to me as well. Western Mass is a long drive from central OH.

Alan