For Sale: Suttner 38-key Anglo, Ebony

Craig Wagner

This is an IMPORTANT REPOST to my original message - Thanks to an observant C-Net reader, that counted the buttons on the pictures I posted! THIS IS A SUTTNER A5 35 Button (not A4 38 button). I'm emailing this change to all of you who have sent me email inquiries on this. I posted 5 concertinas for sale that day, and mislabeled this one. I haven't figured out how to change the title of this posting which still indicates a 38 button...

Jeffries design Anglo concertina by Juergen Suttner. 35-Button A5 model by in C/G. A gorgeous instrument in both appearance and tone - made by the excellent German craftsman. Solid ebony ends, ebony hand grips, 7-fold bellows, steel reeds, with sturdy original case. This is Anglo from Suttner is in perfect working order, ready for sessions, recording or just enjoyment. The concertina is fairly stunning to look at – it is all black (the bellows and black ebony) and silver (all buttons, screws and hardware). In tune, A=440. In like-new condition since it is only 3 years old. Instrument # 211. The bellows are air tight.

See the full detail on the A5 at http://www.suttnerconcertinas.com/catalogue.html. Juergen does not provide a 35 button diagram on his site, so when I get back home, I'll write one up and include it in this posting. The button layout on the first two buttons on the accidental row on the right side is a Jeffries variant (C#/C# on button one and F#/D# on button two – push/pull) to match the layout used by Noel Hill (if it is good enough for Noel, it’s good enough for me!). This gives a very handy push F# that matches the pitch of the pull F# on the right side first row, first button. Also note that it has a draw low E and a push low F# and other duplicated notes that help the fingering/bellowing patterns on those very fast reels.

This concertina has been my main squeeze since I purchased it so it has received a loving break-in. I’m selling it to help finance my son’s college education.

Suttner concertinas are in great demand and he currently has a long waiting list (48 month estimate). Avoid the long delay and get into a high-end instrument now. The list price for this instrument is 4,320 Euros (4,090 base price plus 230 ebony ends). Today’s conversion rate makes that $5,738. I will sell it for $6,100 plus shipping and insurance. If sold through Concertina Net, I’ll make a donation to Paul for his great work on our collective behalf.

I haven’t seen a Suttner on the market for a while, so contact me soon to get your hands on a great concertina! Also, I’ll leave the “damp-it” humidity tube in the case – be sure you keep your concertinas at the right humidity, it will make them last forever (at least a lot longer than you and I will be around)!

Thanks,

Craig Wagner

Edited by Craig Wagner

Have you posted the right pictures? Seems to be a 35 key to me.

My apologies, this is a Suttner A5, not an A4! Thanks for catching my mix-up, I posted 5 concertinas for sale at the same time and mislabeled this one. I have updated the text of the original message to reflect that this is an A5. I have also reduced the price $200 since the A5 is less expensive than the A4. The pictures in the posting are accurate.

Thanks again for catching the mistake.

Craig

Craig,

Any comments on how does the tone compares to a metal ended Suttner?

Dom

Dom, its been years since I've played a metal ended Suttner, but both Colin ad Juergen indicate that wooden ended instruments give a more mellow tone... I think that is true.

Thanks,

Craig

• 2 weeks later...