Cleaning Levers?

I was wondering what you all recommend to use for cleaning levers? These look like brass to me, but I don't want to do any assuming.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/acipolone/286478243/

I'm not sure if cleaning them is necessary, but I'd love to get everything looking nice inside. Also, from the pictures, can you tell if the bushings need replacing?

Thanks!

- Anthony

Those bushings look pretty good to me. As a rule of thumb, if the buttons stand upright when you take the oute end off then the bushings are probably ok. The levers look pretty clean too. I think you should leave well alone!

I'm with Theo. Bushings and levers look good; why cause yourself additional work and possible problems?

(It can be tedious to rebush buttons and most new felt is not as dense)

If you'd like to dust and tidy up a bit, a couple of artist type paint brushes work nicely. I use a stiffer one meant for acrylics for the stubborn dirt and a softer camels hair one for a final sweep.

What was your decision on the dry bellows?

Greg

Thanks for the tips, both of you!

I decided to order replacement bellows ... everyone I spoke to, including some antique restorers here in New Orleans, said that the leather was pretty much shot. I'll update as I go along (probably in the form of a thousand questions, I'm sure).

Thanks again!

- Anthony

If you only have a thousand questions, you are well on top of the job :lol:

It is refreshing to see someone who asks first. You will make a fine job of it I am sure. :)

Judging by some of the bodges I have had to repair, there are a few too many folks around who live by the maxim 'If it ain't broke, fix it till it is'

Regards

Dave

On the subject of bodges,

I did pray this Sunday past, that the good Lord, may so move as to ensure that the individual who serviced Lachenal 122981 will learn that if He (our Lord) wanted epoxy resin used to secure pads, He would have caused Charley Wheatstone to be born 150 yrs later so his design would have accomodated the technique!

I also have since added to the prayer that the same individual be advised that when he is rejected at the pearly gates for concertina abuse that he will realise that discarding key cross bushings, over tightening screws, replacing dampers with card, omitting dots on pads, (and some of the lever arm grommets), finally wedging the reed pans in place with splintered lumps of pine will all serve to extend his period of eternity to even longer amongst the firey furnaces; where I would have liked to consign both the trespasser and the Lachenal 122981.

Dave E

On the subject of bodges,

I did pray this Sunday past, that the good Lord, may so move as to ensure that the individual who serviced Lachenal 122981 will learn that if He (our Lord) wanted epoxy resin used to secure pads, He would have caused Charley Wheatstone to be born 150 yrs later so his design would have accomodated the technique!

I also have since added to the prayer that the same individual be advised that when he is rejected at the pearly gates for concertina abuse that he will realise that discarding key cross bushings, over tightening screws, replacing dampers with card, omitting dots on pads, (and some of the lever arm grommets), finally wedging the reed pans in place with splintered lumps of pine will all serve to extend his period of eternity to even longer amongst the firey furnaces; where I would have liked to consign both the trespasser and the Lachenal 122981.

Dave E

He shall be sentenced to serve the term of eternity in the 'naughty coffin' which shall be situated in between the banjo and accordion torture rooms ..... fiery furnaces are just too good for the likes of him :angry:

Your gallant actions in the rescue of the now 'the born again' Lachenal 122981 have been duly noted in the book of judgement. B)

GOD

(Anglo Player - English Style) :lol:

Dave P,

I neglected out of my own mercy, although 'The All Seeing One' will no doubt be aware, the heretical substitiution of a small self tapping screw on a reed frame assembly, which totally cream-crackered the reed frame; and the fact reeds had been 'tuned' on several verdigis contaminated frames complete with rusted but uncleaned reed tongues.

I thought one eternity in the depths below would be sufficient.

Dave

Dave P,

I neglected out of my own mercy, although 'The All Seeing One' will no doubt be aware, the heretical substitiution of a small self tapping screw on a reed frame assembly, which totally cream-crackered the reed frame; and the fact reeds had been 'tuned' on several verdigis contaminated frames complete with rusted but uncleaned reed tongues.

I thought one eternity in the depths below would be sufficient.

Dave

No Parole !

GOD