Reasons Not To Play The Concertina

PeterT

I think anybody who shows up anywhere with a concetina had pretty well expect to have to play, no excuse. If you don't want to play, don't bring 'tina. Then you don't need an excuse.

I disagree. I have been known to go to the local session with my concertina and then just not feel like playing when I got there. If I'm not in the mood, I'm not going to play, and if I think I'm going to be coerced because I've brought a box which I might want to play, then I'll simply stop taking the box and therefore stop appearing altogether .... :(

Samantha

I agree with Samantha, sometimes it's nice just to listen to others for a while, I might have set out to a session intending to play but not felt like diving in and performing straight away, prefering to 'get in the mood ' first.

Don't you always find that it's the people who can't play or sing who seem to think you are there purely for their personal benefit and demand that you entertain them. It wouldn't be so bad if they offered payment ( musicians union rates would be good) but it's always at free sessions. My husband and I once went to a free open session, we were there early and met two other musicians we'd not seen for ages and got into a good gossip catching up on all the news, instuments still firmly in their cases, when we were very rudely interupted by a non-musician/singer with ' Isn't it about time the musicians started playing as there are people here waiting to be entertained!' AAAaaargh!!!

Cheers Ann

And Theodore......re your avatar photo....
That is Fred from Channel 1, who appeared on the Captain Kangaroo program.............................

..........................Tom Terrific also appeared on Captain Kangaroo, but before my time.

AHA!! That's where I remember Fred from. Yes, he was a lot of fun, too...I always watched the Captain.

I don't quite understand the technical talk regarding exactly how Fred was 'born and raised' -- am not technical at all. Anyway, he was one of my favorite parts of the show. When I saw your pic I just couldn't remember where I'd seen that little guy!

Hello,

I have a pretty good excuse today. Yesterday I crashed my motorcycle, and now my right thumb hurts! Lots. I would guess that to be a pretty good excuse not to play my english concertina.

More ammo to the Anglo guys, "If you only knew how to play the anglo, you'b still be in buisness!"

Russell Hedges

Hello,

I have a pretty good excuse today. Yesterday I crashed my motorcycle, and now my right thumb hurts! Lots. I would guess that to be a pretty good excuse not to play my english concertina.

More ammo to the Anglo guys, "If you only knew how to play the anglo, you'b still be in buisness!"

Russell Hedges

Hi Russell,

Hope that your injury soon heals, and that your motorcycle is not too badly damaged.

Anglo - yes! However, you'll need the right thumb for the air valve, although you could still play without using this very important button.

Regards,

Peter.