S Croggon And Charles Streamer

streamer

MESSAGE FOR SIMON ROSSER. Hi my name is Ian Streamer, my son Simon found your website in error. Simon incidentally is a harmonica player. I am the son of Charles Streamer who you met in '70's. My father would have been in his early 70's at the time you met him and he lived in East Ham - did he have big ears!!! My grandfather, to my knowledge, worked for Jeffries at some time and I believe he made others on the side. In fact I have one in my possession which does not bear the "Jeffries" name but just "C Streamer maker". The handles also bear his initials. I obtained this on my fathers death, being the eldest son. This model has 8 bellows and 23 plus thumb1 buttons on the left hand side and 26 plus thumb button (that lets air in or out) on the right hand side - extremely loud. It also has its own leather case.

I remember a story about a concertina belonging to someone (could have been S Croggon) that my grandfather had in for repair and was lent my grandfathers concertina whilst awaiting repair. The same gentleman never came back to claim his concertina because story goes he perished on the Titanica with my grandfathers concertina. To my knowledge my father only had two concertinas, he didn't play much. It is possible that he was playing on the Titanic!! Perhaps someone should check records to see if there was aS Croggon on the Titanic.

My father at one time was the proprietor of East London Battery Service manufacturing batteries for Ford cars ie Dagenite battery.

Hope this helps. Have attached a photo (I hope). Happy to have further chats etc.

Ian Streamer

post-2340-1158860088.jpg

. It is possible that he was playing on the Titanic!! Perhaps someone should check records to see if there was aS Croggon on the Titanic.

I looked up this website:

http://museum.gov.ns.ca/mma/titanic/passcrew.htm

which claims to have a complete list of passengers and crew, and the name does not appear.

= John Wild

Edited by John Wild

This site lists a Mr Michael Croughane age 45 as a crewmember (fireman/stoker) who first embarked in Belfast, and disembarked in Southampton before it left for the US.

http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/biography/2347/

Spelling difference?? Same guy?? Maybe not S. Croggon concertina player?? From engine crew list on the delivery trip.

Thanks

Leo :unsure:

Edited by Leo

This site lists a Mr Michael Croughane age 45 as a crewmember (fireman/stoker) who first embarked in Belfast, and disembarked in Southampton before it left for the US.

http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/biography/2347/

Spelling difference?? Same guy?? Maybe not S. Croggon concertina player?? From engine crew list on the delivery trip.

Thanks

Leo :unsure:

Another possibility which I did not spot when I first looked at the museum site is that its list does not give names of servants to 1st class passengers, as in the following extract:

Astor, Col. J. and Manservant First-Class Passenger Lost

Astor, Mrs. M. and Maid First-Class Passenger Saved

Attalah, M. Third-Class Passenger Lost

Attalah, M. Third Class Lost

Aubert, Mrs. L. and Maid First-Class Passenger

- John Wild

• 1 month later...

Hello Ian,

How nice to hear from you. When Charlie gave me the 46 key G-D Jeffries which I still play regularly (it being the pride of my collection) he told me that he did not play this type of concertina (Anglo)and was a Duet player. He actually told me that he would be leaving his other instrument to his son, though I don't remember him naming you at that time. I'm delighted to see that he did!

I must say the instrument looks to be in very good condition (far better than the G-D was!!!) and I would be very interested to know whether you've had it refurbished since Charlie's day. Is it in fact a duet? Or is it an Anglo? If you don't play it - though I hope you do - you can tell quite easily. Simply press one of the buttons and pull the bellows in and out. If the same note sounds on both pull and push you have a duet. If a different note sounds when you push & pull using the same button, you have an Anglo (although there are occasionally one or two buttons on a Jeffries pattern anglo which are meant to sound the same so try the middle two rows).

If it does need some remedial work, I'd be very happy to do it for you and I'd love to meet you so we could have a look at each other's boxes - if you'll pardon the phrase! Are you anywhere near London? You can also contact me through my website on www.eastlondonconcertinas.co.uk

Also, if your son might be interested in learning to play, we have one or two loan instruments to hand and after all, an anglo is in many ways only a (slightly more complicated) mechanical mouth organ.

I'm astonished at the possible Titanic connection and it's a sobering thought that had it not been for the disaster, I might never have owned such a fabulous instrument. It's not such a huge leap from Croggan to Croughane after all so maybe the stoker is the missing link in the chain - not as I had supposed some minor music hall artist - what a great story! Get in touch if you fancy a chat over a beer or two - I'd be delighted.

Ive also attached a photo (I hope) showing my G-D and my Bb-F Jeffries - Ialso have a 46Key C-G but I don't have a snap of this or my Bb-F baritone

Simon Rosser

Hello Ian,

How nice to hear from you. When Charlie gave me the 46 key G-D Jeffries which I still play regularly (it being the pride of my collection) he told me that he did not play this type of concertina (Anglo)and was a Duet player. He actually told me that he would be leaving his other instrument to his son, though I don't remember him naming you at that time. I'm delighted to see that he did!

I must say the instrument looks to be in very good condition (far better than the G-D was!!!) and I would be very interested to know whether you've had it refurbished since Charlie's day. Is it in fact a duet? Or is it an Anglo? If you don't play it - though I hope you do - you can tell quite easily. Simply press one of the buttons and pull the bellows in and out. If the same note sounds on both pull and push you have a duet. If a different note sounds when you push & pull using the same button, you have an Anglo (although there are occasionally one or two buttons on a Jeffries pattern anglo which are meant to sound the same so try the middle two rows).

If it does need some remedial work, I'd be very happy to do it for you and I'd love to meet you so we could have a look at each other's boxes - if you'll pardon the phrase! Are you anywhere near London? You can also contact me through my website on www.eastlondonconcertinas.co.uk

Also, if your son might be interested in learning to play, we have one or two loan instruments to hand and after all, an anglo is in many ways only a (slightly more complicated) mechanical mouth organ.

I'm astonished at the possible Titanic connection and it's a sobering thought that had it not been for the disaster, I might never have owned such a fabulous instrument. It's not such a huge leap from Croggan to Croughane after all so maybe the stoker is the missing link in the chain - not as I had supposed some minor music hall artist - what a great story! Get in touch if you fancy a chat over a beer or two - I'd be delighted.

Ive also attached a photo (I hope) showing my G-D and my Bb-F Jeffries - Ialso have a 46Key C-G but I don't have a snap of this or my Bb-F baritone

Simon Rosser

post-1244-1162464125.jpgHello Ian,

Simon Rosser

post-1244-1162464125.jpgHello Ian,

Simon Rosser

post-1244-1162464302.jpg

post-1244-1162464340.jpg