Fingering Technique

Trilby

I would be grateful for some advice here and I'm sorry if it is a "no brainer" but I'm having a little problem with fingering.

I have a 48 key English and am currently really enjoying going through the John Kirkpatrick English Choice book. My jigs and polkas are definately below optimum speed but I am getting there slowly.

My question is when I am going from a D or G down to a sharpened middle C I am having trouble doing it smoothly using my first finger. Should I use my first finger for both and just keep practising or is it advisable to use my middle finger for the D therefore making the c sharp easier.

I realise there is the distinct possibilty that the answer may be to do whatever works for me. But coming from a classical guitar background where I was always told that accepted technique is best I am not sure what to do and I haven't found an answer in the instruction books I have looked at.

I would appreciate some comments.

Cheers

Trilby

Hi Trilby,

I think that I understand your problem (all on left hand index finger). Whilst there will be many Forum members much better qualified than myself to answer your query, my initial thought is to play the tune an octave higher than written. As far as I can see, this will put the C# onto the third or fourth finger (depending on your preference) of the right hand.

Regards,

Peter.

My question is when I am going from a D or G down to a sharpened middle C I am having trouble doing it smoothly using my first finger. Should I use my first finger for both and just keep practising or is it advisable to use my middle finger for the D therefore making the c sharp easier.

My own practice is that I would always use two different fingers. Just be aware that if you use the middle finger for the G (or high D), you may also need to do a little shifting of other fingers leading to or from the pair of notes we're discussing. E.g., if there's a B just before the G or d you should most likely want to use your ring finger for that.

Thanks to both of you. I am leaning towards what you suggest Jim and will be giving that a go. I agree that the devil may well be in the phrases before and after. Maybe it is horses for courses.

I was both impressed and depressed looking at ratface's youtube video as I don't think I will ever get my fingers to fly like that ( I was never I fast guitarist) which is why I am trying to get my technique is effective as I can from the start. Still I am enjoying the "ride" which is the most important thing.

Thanks again