Urgent: Do Not Buy These

Stephen Chambers

I just spotted a couple of Buy it Now eBay scams, so please don't get caught! :o

One is here, of the rosewood-ended Wheatstone Anglo that Vic sold recently.

The other here, of a metal-ended Lachenal Anglo that was originally sold a couple of weeks ago, but which has now been relisted by the genuine seller, due to the buyer disappearing into the ether.

Looks like this conman is trying to get people to buy "off eBay" too. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Edited for clarification.

Edited by Stephen Chambers

Thanks for pointing these out, Stephen, but the metal-ended Lachenal on eBay.co.uk is a genuine relisting. I know because it's mine! The winning bidder first time round simply failed to contact me or reply to any e-mails.

HOWEVER, I have just been warned that a scammer has cloned my listing onto eBay.com, and is offering it for £700 including shipping from USA. If anyone wants to know more about the real Lachenal, please feel free to contact me (maggie.david@ntlworld.com)

Regards,

David

... a scammer has cloned my listing onto eBay.com, and is offering it for £700 including shipping from USA.

David,

Yes, it was the scam auction that I saw, reported to eBay, tried to warn people about & provided a link to, though I also provided links to the two genuine auctions so that people could see for themselves what was going on.

I hope my post (made in great haste) didn't sound like I thought there was anything wrong with your relisting? I certainly didn't mean it to. :unsure:

But I'm afraid such things seem to have become an eBay "fact of life" these days! :(

We're talking about different scammers - the American one was still there when I read your last posting, but has now been removed.
David,

I think it was probably the same one: The stolen account was in England and the price £700, though the Item was supposedly in the USA and shipping was free. It may have still been in your browser (it was still in one of mine until I refreshed it), but it had already been removed by eBay.

Has eBay sharpened up its act? Let's hope so!

I'm astonished at how fast they appear to have reacted, though I did provide them with the details of both the genuine auctions and (perhaps more to the point?) the scammer was trying to get people to "buy off eBay".

Thanks for the clarification, Stephen. Believe it or not, the same scam has popped up again this evening on eBay.com, this time with a different "vendor", but still with all the same details, and the same cheeky note suggesting that Nigerian scammers need not apply! I have alerted eBay - and in fact, I have just checked again before posting this, and they have removed it already! 5 minutes from warning to removal - things really are looking up!

He has Vic's Wheatstone up again as well.

This guy is like the pound store, except more expensive - everything is 700GBP.

Hi Gerry,

Noticing that you are in my own neck of the woods, I took a look at your ID page, and found a picture of you playing with my friends Mary and Anahata. Small world, eh?