Concertinas At Witney 2006

Not this year, but maybe next. I went last year and my Irish style of playing was completely unsuitable for the chorded english style that was being taught. I didn't get much out of it.

I did enjoy the trade fair, though.

Not this year, but maybe next. I went last year and my Irish style of playing was completely unsuitable for the chorded english style that was being taught. I didn't get much out of it.

I did enjoy the trade fair, though.

Hi Elizabeth,

Well, we'll work on your fingering, so you should be raring to go in 2007.

Regards,

Peter.

PS - see you at The George, on 4th September.

I will be there and will be giving up Irish cross-fingering for the weekend in Stuart Estells' and Norman Chalmers' workshops.

I was in Witney in Spring and the Court Inn was up for sale so we will have to see about Friday night session. Anybody know?

I was in Witney in Spring and the Court Inn was up for sale so we will have to see about Friday night session. Anybody know?

Hi Geoff,

I'm sure that Dave Townsend will have the Friday night session under control.

Regards,

Peter.

• 2 weeks later...

Concertinas at Witney is fast approaching. I will be staying at the "Greystones Lodge Hotel", which I can recommend from previous visits. Hope to have some C.net company, there.

For anyone who does not know me, I'll be the one staggering around under the weight of Juliette Daum's new CD "Juliette et le Concertina" :) :) (see separate posting). Please stop me, and buy one (£12.00).

Thanks and regards,

Peter.

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone going to this year's event, in the lovely town of Witney, in Oxfordshire?

Well, this year's event has come, and gone, and the town is just as lovely as I remember it from previous visits.

Eleven years on from my last visit, faces had changed, and there were many new people to meet, including some C.net members. At the Friday night pub session, Dave and Mandy Townsend joked that they thought they might not have recognised me after so long; fears unfounded, and we had a great session.

Tutors Harry Scurfield, Robert Harbron, Stuart Estell and Norman Chalmers (the latter two I had not previously met) helped the session go with a swing. The "Eagle Tavern" provided an excellent venue; the landlord thanked us as we left, and invited us back at any time during the weekend, an offer which we took up late on Saturday night. The locals loved it, even the younger ones, who could not believe how far some people had travelled just to reach the event. One "old boy" ended up singing some traditional, and Music Hall songs; I bet that other regulars would not have known him as a singer; now they do, and I'm sure that he will receive regular requests to sing.

In total, there were 8 tutors, this year, and tutors Jenny Cox, Pauline de Snoo, and Tim Laycock joined us on Saturday.

We were spoilt for choice in the workshops, so I opted for Stuart Estell's workshop on the Saturday (Anglo), and Dave Townsend's workshop on the Sunday (all systems). Both tutors were very different in their approach, but excellent. Much to take away, and think about, which I view as more important than learning a few new tunes over a weekend.

Most of the tutors performed in the Saturday night concert, and I was particularly interested to hear Pauline de Snoo, who I had not previously met (Classical concertina, with piano accompaniment).

Dave Townsend (English) performed a short set, and Stuart Estell, joined by one of his band members, performed a variety of songs accompanied by Maccann, Anglo and Jeffries Duet concertinas.

It was a joy to listen to Norman Chalmers' Scottish style of playing on the English concertina, and also to hear how the playing of Robert Harbron (English) has progressed in the last ten or so years.

Harry Scurfield (Anglo), always entertaining, finished the concert, and, as is customary, had the other tutors back on stage for the final number.

Over the weekend, I probably met some C.net members without realising who they were, but did meet:

Mike Burns

Roger Gawley

Valmai Goodyear

Jon McNamara

Geoffrey Wells

Steve Williams

Geoff Wright

I enjoyed swapping a few tunes with Geoff (first time we had met, as far as I recall), and, as Saturday turned into Sunday, Geoff's Birthday arrived!

So, all in all, a great weekend, and it will not be another eleven years until my next visit.

Regards,

Peter.

Anyone going to this year's event, in the lovely town of Witney, in Oxfordshire?

Well, this year's event has come, and gone, and the town is just as lovely as I remember it from previous visits.

Eleven years on from my last visit, faces had changed, and there were many new people to meet, including some C.net members. At the Friday night pub session, Dave and Mandy Townsend joked that they thought they might not have recognised me after so long; fears unfounded, and we had a great session.

Tutors Harry Scurfield, Robert Harbron, Stuart Estell and Norman Chalmers (the latter two I had not previously met) helped the session go with a swing. The "Eagle Tavern" provided an excellent venue; the landlord thanked us as we left, and invited us back at any time during the weekend, an offer which we took up late on Saturday night. The locals loved it, even the younger ones, who could not believe how far some people had travelled just to reach the event. One "old boy" ended up singing some traditional, and Music Hall songs; I bet that other regulars would not have known him as a singer; now they do, and I'm sure that he will receive regular requests to sing.

In total, there were 8 tutors, this year, and tutors Jenny Cox, Pauline de Snoo, and Tim Laycock joined us on Saturday.

We were spoilt for choice in the workshops, so I opted for Stuart Estell's workshop on the Saturday (Anglo), and Dave Townsend's workshop on the Sunday (all systems). Both tutors were very different in their approach, but excellent. Much to take away, and think about, which I view as more important than learning a few new tunes over a weekend.

Most of the tutors performed in the Saturday night concert, and I was particularly interested to hear Pauline de Snoo, who I had not previously met (Classical concertina, with piano accompaniment).

Dave Townsend (English) performed a short set, and Stuart Estell, joined by one of his band members, performed a variety of songs accompanied by Maccann, Anglo and Jeffries Duet concertinas.

It was a joy to listen to Norman Chalmers' Scottish style of playing on the English concertina, and also to hear how the playing of Robert Harbron (English) has progressed in the last ten or so years.

Harry Scurfield (Anglo), always entertaining, finished the concert, and, as is customary, had the other tutors back on stage for the final number.

Over the weekend, I probably met some C.net members without realising who they were, but did meet:

Mike Burns

Roger Gawley

Valmai Goodyear

Jon McNamara

Geoffrey Wells

Steve Williams

Geoff Wright

I enjoyed swapping a few tunes with Geoff (first time we had met, as far as I recall), and, as Saturday turned into Sunday, Geoff's Birthday arrived!

So, all in all, a great weekend, and it will not be another eleven years until my next visit.

Regards,

Peter.

It was, as ever, an excellent week-end, with a huge range of playing from the intense and delicate to the unashamedly raucous. The sessions in the Eagle Tavern were very entertaining and went on into the small hours. Norman Chalmers referred to it on Sunday as 'The Evil Tavern', but didn't make it clear whether this was a slip of the tongue.

It's an event not to be missed.

Valmai

Valmai Goodyear

20, St. John's Terrace, Lewes, BN7 2DL

01273 476757

Lewes Arms Folk Club, Mount Place, Lewes, East Sussex BN7 1YH

www.members.aol.com/lewesarmsfolk

Residents: Bryan Creer, Dave Earl, Sandra Goddard, Valmai Goodyear, Steve & Diane Nevill, George Oakley, Robert O'Mahony, Derek Seed

LEWES ARMS FOLK CLUB WORKSHOPS 2006

Workshops last a full Saturday and the tutor performs at the club in the evening. Booking forms are available from the club and can be printed from the website.

Mick Ryan & Pete Harris - Songwriting & folk drama, 18th. February

Coope Boyes & Simpson - Vocal harmony, 1st. April

Georgina Boyes - Early song collectors in Sussex, 1st. April (p.m.)

Gavin Bird, Melodeon, 3rd. June

Martin Carthy - Guitar & song, 10th. June

Sandra Kerr - Concertina (all systems) 8th. July

John Kirkpatrick - Anglo concertina, 16th. September

Nancy Kerr - Fiddle, 7th. October

James Fagan - Bouzouki & cittern, 7th. October

Alistair Anderson - Concertina (all systems) 28th. October (a.m.)

Dave Townsend & Phil Humphries - West Gallery Carols, Saturday 18th. November

Dave Townsend - Sacred Harp, Sunday 19th. November

Phil Humphries - Early Music for Folk Musicians, Sunday 19th. November

Brian Peters - Melodeon, 2nd. December

Gordon Tyrrall - Whistle & Flute, 2nd. December

Brian Peters - Ballad Forum, Sunday 3rd. December

Beware - there are two Evils in Witney, the Evil Vaults is on the High Street, next to the Post Office - you don't want to go there.

You want to be in the Evil Tavern on Corn Street - it has decent guest beer on (I was on Hook Norton Copper Ale) and was full of serious drinkers who talk to each other, as opposed to some of the other pubs where the music is loud and the conversation is minimal. A good eye is kept on the door to keep kiddies out.

The Court Inn is no more - it has gone up/down? market and is a wide-screen bar. The Evil turned out to be a better venue, dark, with small rooms so a little smaller.

Numbers were down a little on previous years - don't let that happen again - if you didn't like the classes on offer - tell DT what you do want!!!!!!

I gave up Irish cross-fingering for the weekend and had many an enjoyable tune with Peter. I doubly confused everyone by swapping onto English concertina on the Sunday. The final spot of the tutors concert was the best yet - a jazz standard (Bill Bailey?) led by Harry Scurfield.

Where is the Eagle in Witney (in general terms)?

It is on Corn Street, very close to the centre. One of the most friendly places I have been to. The session on Friday evening was booked by Dave T, when we left there about 1:30, we were invited to come back anytime so some of us did after the concert on Saturday.

The old boy singing songs has already been described. Watching Norman Chalmers playing a few gentle notes to keep him on pitch and at a reasonable rhythm was a joy.

The tutors were good too!

Roger

I gave up Irish cross-fingering for the weekend and had many an enjoyable tune with Peter. I doubly confused everyone by swapping onto English concertina on the Sunday. The final spot of the tutors concert was the best yet - a jazz standard (Bill Bailey?) led by Harry Scurfield.

Frankie and Johnny. It was a hoot.

Roger