Concertina Instruction In New England

The Hanafin-Cooley Branch of Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann is planning on adding instruction in Irish Anglo Concertina (taught by yours truly) to their fall music school semester in Boston, pending a few more students. If you are interested in this idea, visit http://www.cceboston.org/p9index.html and let them know.

The Hanafin-Cooley Branch of Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann is planning on adding instruction in Irish Anglo Concertina (taught by yours truly) to their fall music school semester in Boston, pending a few more students. If you are interested in this idea, visit http://www.cceboston.org/p9index.html and let them know.

An unsolicited testimonial: Chris's playing will knock you flat! He has a lot to share. I used to hear him in Portsmouth when I lived in Massachusetts.

Happy squeezing!

Ken

Chris: I am currently at Irish Arts Week where three of us from the Boston area are anxious to find a concertina teacher. I have been talking with Tim O' Connell of Comhaltas on this issue, and I think he said we need eight. I think we are getting close. I believe that there are at least three others (besides the three of us at Irish Arts) who are interested based on comments from Nathan, Dave & Brenda on this site. I know that some would also be interested in private instruction. Can you tell us a bit about your style (i.e., ornamentation, etc.) and who you learned from? Thanks, Alan

Alan - it's hard for me to describe my style because it's the product of several influences - I didn't learn from one mentor. Influences include Noel Hill, Micheal O'Raghallaigh, Dermot Byrne, Aogan Lynch, Luke Daniels, and most importantly everyone I've played music with over the years. Rhythm, lilt, and a light touch is very important to me, and I use a fair amount of ornamentation.

Edited by chrisstevens

Chris: That sounds exactly like what many of us are seeking. I think we are on the verge of a major concertina expansion here in Boston, and you are hitting it at the perfect time. Alan

Edited by Alan Miller