Concertina Upgrade

Virgil Brett

Hello everybody I've been reading this forum as a guest for a while and I thought it was about time that I join in.

I've got a stagi 30 key c/g anglo and I'm ready to move on to something better. I've got about £1500 to spend and I have read about concertinas by lachenal marcus morse and others and I'm wondering what will be the best choice for me.

I play some english and irish style music along with bits of pop and rock and show tunes.

Thanks Virge

Hello and welcome!

In your price range, I think there are a number of hybrid options (quality concertinas with accordion reeds). You mentioned two of them. Others to looks at are Norman, Tedrow, Edgley and Harrington. Maybe Wakker is still in that range as well. Lots of choice.

Edited by Mark Evans

Hi Virgil,

Welcome to the forums! Since it seems like you are in England (I assume this since you mention 1500 GBP) I would first suggest having an in-person meeting with Chris Algar of Barleycorn or another good reputable dealer if possible. That way they can show you what is immediately available in your price range and give you a chance to try things out - which I think is a great tool to help find the right concertina for your needs. I will leave it to others to say who those "other good reputable dealers" in your area may be, as I'm not sufficiently familiar with that market.

Of the hybrid makers mentioned (Morse, Edgley, Tedrow, Harrington, Marcus, Norman) I have personal experience with Morse and Edgley instruments and would recommend either one as a good option. The Wakker concertina-reeded instrument may be a bit above your price range, but the Geuns concertina (accordion-reeded) fits well within it. I have no experience with either, so perhaps someone can weigh in on their qualities.

Just to throw another log on the fire, Dana Johnson's Kensington concertinas are excellent and affordable, and also in the range you mention. However, you'll probably need to wait at least two years right now to get one, and you may want to upgrade before then.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out!

-David

Hello Virgil

Are you by any chance within reach of Sheffield? If so then it would be a very good idea to come to the Royal Concertinas monthly meeting as you would get the chance to try out a number of different types of concertina and to chat about them in depth with the folks there.

Alternatively come to the Bradfield Traditional Music Weekend on the weekend of 11th August. There will be a considerable number of concertina players there together with Jurgen Suttner and Geoff Crabb and you'll find out everything you want as well as hear some great music over the whole weekend for only a tenner.

Cheers

Pete

Hi Virgil,

My husband is thinking ....hard to describe what that looks like.... :blink:

about changing back to his beloved b/c accordions, which means he will have a Morse c/g anglo for sale.

He has only had it 12 months.

If you are interested let me know and I will sit him down and have a few words in his ear.......box his lugs more likely as he *stole* the concertina from me in the first place and now is about to steal my box too <_<

Men :rolleyes:

Sharron