I have sometimes walked home from Morris practice playing on my concertina. As I walk, I notice that the sound varies depending on my surroundings. I would expect that reflected sound would be a problem, but it isn't so. As I walk down a path, the concertina sounds okay. But as I walk past a reflective wall (in my case Roosevelt Jr. High) the reflected sound seems to add something to the concertina sound. Walking past a gap between buildings makes another sound, a multiple echo.

Am I wrong to enjoy that sound?

I have practiced on the way to a Morris event as well, and I heard not one complaint. I was surprised at the smiles I got, considering the bad press that "squeezboxes' seem to get. People enjoy hearing me play, as bad as I am. It's nice.

Russell Hedges

Wish I could do that around here. I think that the chance of being arrested slightly out-weighs the chance of being mugged. Don't particularly fancy either. :(

Regarding the sound; yes, it's wonderful. I was wandering around in the pub at last month's session, playing as I went; don't know whether it was the beer, or just the fact that I was enjoying myself. The sound in a confined space was both powerful, and inspiring. :)

While I don't play outdoors with any regularity (I'd hate to have the neighbors join forces against me), I am sensitive to the role that sound reflective surfaces (or lack thereof) play in the perceived quality of tone in my instruments. I suspect that the acoustical quality of one's position within a room is overlooked by many.

I've walked about my home while playing to contrast the sound that reaches my ears and have found that most rooms have one or two "sweet spots" where I enjoy the tones the most. I like to use a portable chair (often borrowed from the dining table) to position myself in one of those favored locations to play and sometimes relocate my chair to other previously selected spots to get a "fresh" sound if I'm at it more than an hour or two.

Of course it should be recognized that the position that sounds best to the player isn't necessarily the one that a "listener" (audience of one or more) might best enjoy since they will be in a different spot in the room and therefore likely to experience a different acoustical perspective.

Bruce

Am I wrong to enjoy that sound?

Did you enjoy the recording squeezora made in the old church? :) If so (something I think is likely), would you consider that wrong?

I think you can answer your own question. ;)

It's nice.

Russell Hedges

Russell,

What a lovely story. I've noticed the same thing. Timbre or tone is such a subtle and wonderful thing. Our surroundings certainly change the sound of an instrument in strange and interesting ways. The Leslie rotating speakers for example, make use of that effect to great affect.

On another note, try standing in a room and play a single long pitch while swinging your box around in a big, wide circle. Vary the speed and enjoy the sensation.

Swedish walking tunes might suit you well as you amble along.

Jody