Music Hall Song

Hilary

Having just watched a program on tv about political drunks, I would love to find the words and tune for a music hall song with the lines

"Mr. Askwith says in manners sweet and calm

Another little drink won't do us any harm"

It sounds as if it should be a verse from "Roll the old chariot along" but it doesn't scan for that song. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Having just watched a program on tv about political drunks, I would love to find the words and tune for a music hall song with the lines

It sounds as if it should be a verse from "Roll the old chariot along" but it doesn't scan for that song. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Hi Hilary!

Did some googling and the only thing I found up till now is that Mr. Askwith is probably Mr. Asquith :unsure:

This blog(?) gives the words, but not the tune. However, one of the posts also says, "This song was featured in PBS' the Great War. If you haven't seen it, by all means rent it."

So I guess if you can find the video, you'll get the tune. I presume that "PBS" is America's Public Broadcasting System, so even if you can get it in England might need a video player that can handle NTSC format.

Hilary

If you are interested in pub culture and music hall songs that encourage drinking then listen again to Lawrie Taylor's BBC Radio 4 program Thinking allowed. Your Question rang a bell with me as I remember hearing a musical introduction to an article about how drinking habits have chnged which fitted the line you gave.

The link follows this warning that the first item on the program is about wife burning, to go to the song snippet index through to the ninth minute of the program to here our own George Robey & palls Singing 'Another little drink....http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/thinkingallowed/thinkingallowed_20060301.shtml