Another Question - Sorry

I can't work out where to put the spring on the air button.

The previous spring was completely broken so I have nothing to guide me. If I try to re-use the holes on the plate with a new spring, it doesn't seem to work.

Should I be using a different spring than on the other keys?

Or is there a different way of attaching it or a different placement?

Thanks

post-1856-1146493713_thumb.jpg

Time you bought a copy of Dave Elliotts excellent "Concertina Maintenance Manual"

The hole next to the pivot post looks about right. Often the air button has two springs, one on each side of the lever, but fitted in the same way as the playimg buttons.

Just from looking at picture, I'd think that the air button spring would be mounted like the one on the third button down-- the one which has a pad to the right of the button. The spring there is what I'd call right handed (the one on the long key second from the top is what I'd call left handed) because the hook is to the right when looking down the key from the spring toward the hook. The spring gets mounted in the hole next to the post with the coil below the key. The hook then pulls up on the key on the button side of the post-- like on both the third and fifth keys (partially blocked from view in your picture).

OK thanks - I've got it now.

The spare spring I got has a much longer base bit to it, so I just need to re-bend it then it all works - I was just trying to make the wrong-sized spring fit, obvious now I look at it.

I am grateful for help on this and I am using Dave Elliott's book, it is excellent.

Nick

Air buttons usually have two srings, one left hand and one right hand. Spring anchorages as per the little holes or stubs you have got in place now. The spring's pig-tail curls pointing towards the pad and their arm hooks landing about 1/2 to 2/3rds between the pivot post and the key,

Oh,

some lachenals had one bloody big spring and one standard spring, presumably because of the need to match the force from he air pressure on the large area of the bigger pad.

Dave