"secret" Air Leaks In Stagi Hayden Duet

Did you know about a little design error in the Stagi Hayden Duet? The push pins that hold the ends on are a little too long, and on the RH side, the two of them by the top row of buttons actually poke thru the sides of the extra reed chamber inside. Judy of The Button Box showed me the problem and fixed it for me while I watched.

Simply remove the RH pins and pull off the end. You'll see the pentagonal reed chamber, and notice that those two pins have poked holes in its sides. So, use wire-cutter pliers to snip maybe 1/8" off two of the pins, and remember to always put those two pins in that location.

And seal up the pinholes in the reed chamber somehow. Judy used beeswax, naturally, but you could use most any kind of glue. The leaks aren't serious, but one more note before you ahve to reverse bellows can sometimes matter a lot. Happy squeezing -- Mike K.

Did you know about a little design error in the Stagi Hayden Duet? The push pins that hold the ends on are a little too long, and on the RH side, the two of them by the top row of buttons actually poke thru the sides of the extra reed chamber inside...

Those pins... I can't imagine what designer might have thought they were a good idea. As I have pointed out elsewhere, the fact that they protrude from the external faces of the concertina (the ends of the pins that you can't cut off) means that you can't put it down on a piano or other piece of wooden furniture without damaging it.

Those pins... I can't imagine what designer might have thought they were a good idea. As I have pointed out elsewhere, the fact that they protrude from the external faces of the concertina (the ends of the pins that you can't cut off) means that you can't put it down on a piano or other piece of wooden furniture without damaging it.

Well, those pins do allow quick easy removal of the end without tools. That's about the only good thing I can think of to say.

Say, aren't you the jolly David I met in David Cornell's Duet class last wweekend? Nice to hear from you.

As for damaging table tops, I did have an idea that I will use if I ever have to worry about it. Those little stick-on self-adhesive rubber feet sold in any hardware store. I'd use four of the clear transparent variety, and put two on each end, on the face that is level with the floor when playing, so I could set it down safely. These feet wouldn't be all that visible on what is a very pretty (though nontraditonal) looking instrument.

--Mike K.

Edited by ragtimer

Say, aren't you the jolly David I met in David Cornell's Duet class last wweekend? Nice to hear from you.
Yes, but we've met before. At last year's workshop and at the NE Squeeze-In. I was in the concertina band when you taught us that piece you wrote.
As for damaging table tops, I did have an idea that I will use if I ever have to worry about it. Those little stick-on self-adhesive rubber feet sold in any hardware store. I'd use four of the clear transparent variety, and put two on each end, on the face that is level with the floor when playing, so I could set it down safely. These feet wouldn't be all that visible on what is a very pretty (though nontraditonal) looking instrument.
Yes, I've got four of those very gizmos on the bottom of my laptop computer. Wouldn't want to put them on my Wheatstone, though.

Yes, but we've met before. At last year's workshop and at the NE Squeeze-In. I was in the concertina band when you taught us that piece you wrote.
Yes, I've got four of those very gizmos on the bottom of my laptop computer. Wouldn't want to put them on my Wheatstone, though.

Good -- there were 20+ folks in that band, sorry if I didn't remember you from then. I trust you were playing the Hayden then, so the band wasn't all English? :-)

No, I'd be very careful what I stuck onto a Dickenson Wheatstone too! I may jsut go ahead and apply those feet to my Stagi while I have some on hand. I think she'll still fit in the case.

Say -- we seem to have a critical mass of Hayden players going here on this thread. Let's toss some more ideas around.

Rich has just pointed out that you can't play a full scale legator without the pinky, LH or RH. No argument there -- just have to get used to using my LH pinky. You'd think a ragtime pianist would have a tough LH pinky, no? Just not very accurate ;-) --Mike K.

Rich has just pointed out that you can't play a full scale legator without the pinky, LH or RH.

Sure you can. I don't use my pinkies nearly as much as Rich does (or my thumbs!). I just slide a finger from one button to the next somewhere in the second tetrachord of the scale.

By the way, thinking about those little plastic feet things, you might want to use only three, two at one end and one in the center of the other. That way the instrument won't rock the way it would if four points are not precisely positioned.

Rich has just pointed out that you can't play a full scale legator without the pinky, LH or RH.

Sure you can. I don't use my pinkies nearly as much as Rich does (or my thumbs!). I just slide a finger from one button to the next somewhere in the second tetrachord of the scale.

I'm glad to hear that -- I always felt like I was "cheating" and not "learning it right" whenever I slid a finger.

Seriously, I find it hard to slid a finger sideways, but it's a great way to play a descending 4th or 5th interval, which are kind of awkward on the Hayden.

By the way, thinking about those little plastic feet things, you might want to use only three, two at one end and one in the center of the other. That way the instrument won't rock the way it would if four points are not precisely positioned.

Actually it will be supported and kept from rocking on the table by the bellows, but you have a good point, and a plastic foot aligned with the darned pin on one end would be less noticeable.

Thanks, Mike K.

Edited by ragtimer