Published Concertina Music

I've recently seen some bound volumes of music arranged for concertina, some with piano accompaniment.

The publishers are variously, Scates, Blagrove, Wheatstone and Case and many of the arrangements are by Joseph Warren (I don't know this name) although George Case is the arranger for his own publications.

As an example, here are 2 pages. A title page and 1 page of music.

c2.jpg

c1.jpg

Anybody up for playing those runs on an anglo :o

Howard Mitchell

I've recently seen some bound volumes of music arranged for concertina, some with piano accompaniment.

The publishers are variously, Scates, Blagrove, Wheatstone and Case and many of the arrangements are by Joseph Warren (I don't know this name) although George Case is the arranger for his own publications.

As an example, here are 2 pages. A title page and 1 page of music.

c2.jpg

c1.jpg

Anybody up for playing those runs on an anglo :o

Howard Mitchell

:P

Anybody up for playing those runs on an anglo.
Howard, I think that this is what's known as an "English" tune. At least there's no bass line.
At least the one shown is definitely an arrangement for the English, as are virtually all the ones I have. (I do have an anglo tutor by Jones.)

Howard, it would be interesting to compare collections (I'll contact you off Forum about that). Also, the ICA library has quite a lot of this published music. If you're a member you can the listings on their web site. (No link here, because members should already know it, and nonmembers don't have access to that part of the web site. If you want to become a member, look here, and then click on the Join Us link in the expanded left-hand menu for details.)

Edited by JimLucas

Gulps!

I'm no opera buff but I only recognise the last of the five operas mentioned - anyone else heard of them?

Indeed Dazbo...I have :blink:

Il Pirata, Bellini

Semiramide, Rossini,

Anna Bolena, Donizetti

Betly, Donizetti

The one you recognize, Lucia is also Donizetti. Of the four you didn't know only Anna Bolena gets a send up the stage when there is an exceptional colloratura soprano to mount a production for. I was in Houston now 20 years ago to see Dame Joan Sutherland still in her prime danced across this music with glee and power.

The others were very popular in the Bel Canto era. Semiramide rarely sees the light of day and it would be a very long evening indeed (my opinion here) to indure a performance without being completely sloshed.

It seems George Case was transcribing the popular opera gems of his day. It was an era of beautiful singing (bel canto). Today standardization and globalization have reduced what remains of that literature in the large opera houses to "Can Belto" :ph34r: . Would love to hear some of it on EC!....Allan? Wim? Pauline?

Edited by Mark Evans