Attaching Mics

I've got some wonderful little Sennheiser Evolution microphones for my Lachenal Edeophone, but have yet to devise an ideal way to attach them without making any permanent modifications to the 1920 instrument. Right now, I'm using stick-on velcro, attaching it to the wooden sides, but here in Louisiana they often slide around with the heat. Has anyone found a good way to rig up something, perhaps under the thumb strap screws, that can hold this kind of flexible mic? These mics sound great.

I've got some wonderful little Sennheiser Evolution microphones for my Lachenal Edeophone, but have yet to devise an ideal way to attach them without making any permanent modifications to the 1920 instrument. Right now, I'm using stick-on velcro, attaching it to the wooden sides, but here in Louisiana they often slide around with the heat. Has anyone found a good way to rig up something, perhaps under the thumb strap screws, that can hold this kind of flexible mic? These mics sound great.

I rigged up a connection using electrical spade connectors - one end was fastened in under the thumbtraps as you suggest. It worked a treat.

I rigged up a connection using electrical spade connectors - one end was fastened in under the thumbtraps as you suggest. It worked a treat.

Thanks, that sounds like a great idea. I'll try it.

I use to use two webbing straps (as sold in travel shops for bed rolls etc.) round the outside of each end, holding the microphones. I use AKGs on stalks away from the body of the tina. This description sounds a bit odd but it works very well. Before I got this system I used simple tie-clip mics with the clips onto the thumb straps. Both these also work with anglos!

Chris

Clive,

I don't know the exact model, I think they were modified by Accusound. I used them with a Nady 201 True Diversity radio transmitter. They have the AKG B9power supply (now superceded I believe). If your ever near Lee drop in and see them, they work a treat!

Chris

I haven't tried it, but wouldn't using tie clip mics attached to the shirt cuffs at the back of the wrist keep the mics at a reasonable distance from the ends of a concertina? It would seem to me that if you attach the mic to the concertina you might make it too close, but essentially putting the mic on your hands would keep it a bit further away, but at a consistent distance. I've seen a good sound man put one mic on each side and a third above the concertina to get even sound.

I haven't tried it, but wouldn't using tie clip mics attached to the shirt cuffs at the back of the wrist keep the mics at a reasonable distance from the ends of a concertina? It would seem to me that if you attach the mic to the concertina you might make it too close, but essentially putting the mic on your hands would keep it a bit further away, but at a consistent distance. I've seen a good sound man put one mic on each side and a third above the concertina to get even sound.

I would have thought that the danger here would be knocking the mics and getting too much unwanted noise from that. I the mics are attached to the instrument they can be kept out of touching distance.

Before I got the radio mic AKG system I used RS Component condenser tie clip mics very successfully in ceilidh bands. On my english I found that attaching the clip to the thumb straps worked really well and was a cheap but good solution to the problem of miking up 'tinas. I used them once to mic up John Rodd's anglo (on the hand strap) and that worked very well! The Nady/AKG radio mic solution meant that I was not tied to the amp, and I could also attach an AKG headset mic for calling/singing. It all worked a treat!

Chris