Help On Replying

Hi there

Have tried to reply to a posting only to have the posting repeated under my log on - check it out and you will see it has happened twice. I managed to reply to a posting yesterday without any probs - can anyone tell me where I went wrong?

Hi there

Have tried to reply to a posting only to have the posting repeated under my log on - check it out and you will see it has happened twice. I managed to reply to a posting yesterday without any probs - can anyone tell me where I went wrong?

Here is a reply using the reply button on bottom right - you can see it includes the original quote. Then press the Add Reply on bottom line

Hi there

Hi,

Click on the "reply" button, which gives you the facility to type in the box below the original posting which is between the quotes. Somewhere on this site, I've seen a more detailled explanation which accounts for some of the fancy edits of quotes which you will have seen on certain topics.

Importantly, if you scroll down, you'll see "Preview Post" which shows how your response will look. If you are happy, then scroll down and click on "Add Reply".

Regards,

Peter.

Hi there

Hi,

Click on the "reply" button, which gives you the facility to type in the box below the original posting which is between the quotes. Somewhere on this site, I've seen a more detailled explanation which accounts for some of the fancy edits of quotes which you will have seen on certain topics.

Importantly, if you scroll down, you'll see "Preview Post" which shows how your response will look. If you are happy, then scroll down and click on "Add Reply".

Regards,

Peter.

Hi

Managed to sort it out - don't know what I did wrong on the first two - but thanks to everyone for trying to help.

Oh well I guess I will get everything sussed out on Concertina.net eventually - keep finding things that I did not know were there - could spend hours reading some of the stuff ..............if only work didn't keep getting in the way!

Managed to sort it out - don't know what I did wrong on the first two - but thanks to everyone for trying to help.

Galley,

You could edit your previous "useless" replies and delete all text. Unfortunately you cannot delete the complete message.

keep finding things that I did not know were there - could spend hours reading some of the stuff ..............if only work didn't keep getting in the way!

Yes, work can be a nasty thing, when you are involved in (obsessed with) concertinas. If only Eva did not eat the apple, we all could be playing concertina all day :(

Have tried to reply to a posting only to have the posting repeated under my log on - check it out and you will see it has happened twice. I managed to reply to a posting yesterday without any probs - can anyone tell me where I went wrong? This is an example of editing, which I've highlighted in color so it would be noticed.
Click on the "reply" button, which gives you the facility to type in the box below the original posting which is between the quotes.

And here's where I deleted stuff and am inserting my own, i.e., this.

Oh well I guess I will get everything sussed out on Concertina.net eventually - keep finding things that I did not know were there - could spend hours reading some of the stuff ..............if only work didn't keep getting in the way!

Aside from adding your own reply, you can edit the quoted part, e.g., to cut out everything except the specific bits you're responding to. When you do that, though, it's important to balance the quote tags, or the quote formatting won't work at all. I.e., each quoted section must begin with {quote} (which will normally includes additional identifying information within the brackets) and end with {/quote}. (Except that those "curly" brackets should be sqare brackets. If I actually made them square brackets, you wouldn't be able to see them, as they would turn the text between them into a quote. :))

An important thing is to NOT click on the "Add Reply" button until you've completed and checked your post, because that's what actually posts what you've written. Also, if you use "Preview Post" and then see something you want to change, you need to use your browser's "Back" button to get back to input/edit mode. Though a similar "input" window appears while you're previewing, changes made there seem to be ignored.

But you can still go back and edit a post -- only if you have written it -- after it was posted. (If it's yours, there will be an Edit button when you view it.) E.g., you could go back to those "extra" posts and erase everything in them, or erase it and add something like "unintentional duplicate post removed," since only the text can be removed, not the post itself.

Have fun.

Also, if you use "Preview Post" and then see something you want to change, you need to use your browser's "Back" button to get back to input/edit mode. Though a similar "input" window appears while you're previewing, changes made there seem to be ignored.

Jim

I never use the "back" button to go from preview mode back to edit mode. When I am in preview mode, I just scroll down to arrive back at the edit situation. I never had problem with this procedure.

Edited by Henk van Aalten

Also, if you use "Preview Post" and then see something you want to change, you need to use your browser's "Back" button to get back to input/edit mode. Though a similar "input" window appears while you're previewing, changes made there seem to be ignored.
I never use the "back" button to go from preview mode back to edit mode. When I am in preview mode, I just scroll down to arrive back at the edit situation. I never had problem with this procedure.

Hmm. Different browsers? I've had two problems from editing while in Preview Post. The first is that my new edits simply get ignored. The second is that if I click on Preview Post again it seems OK, but then when I click on Add Reply from within the nested Preview Post, it crashes and I lose everything I've been writing.