Info Required On Recent Concertina Purchase

vicrob

:: Hi folks, I'm a new convert to the concertina, I have always wanted one and recently bought a 20 key anglo in c/g, It's a Lachenal and badged Metzler with serial number 51558. This concertina is in my opinion is in excellent condition and came with original wooden box . I was wondering if anyone could tell me more about it, age etc.

I just joined the forum and looking foward to learning about concertinas. Thanks Vic.

Would that be this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=7385911301 ?

Daniel

:: Hi folks, I'm a new convert to the concertina, I have always wanted one and recently bought a 20 key anglo in c/g, It's a Lachenal and badged Metzler with serial number 51558. This concertina is in my opinion is in excellent condition and came with original wooden box . I was wondering if anyone could tell me more about it, age etc.

I just joined the forum and looking foward to learning about concertinas. Thanks Vic.

Lachenal and badged Metzler with serial number 51558

Heh - I almost went for that one myself. : ) I researched it a bit; based on the Lachenal dating guide here, I figured it was made just before 1900. And I went through my (small) repertoire of Irish tunes and discovered that fully half of them would work on it easily, even though it only has 20 buttons.

It looks like a nice instrument. How does it play?

Edited by Baxter

it looks like a nice instrument, how does it play?

Push the ends in and out while pressing the buttons :rolleyes:

Hi Paul, I have only had this for a day , and am very pleased with it, I have operated the bellows without pressing the buttons and find there is only a slight bit of air from the air button side escaping, is this normal?

Would that be this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=7385911301 ?

Daniel

No Daniel it was e-bay 7003289427

I think you mixed up your ebay ID #'s--that one's a book called Keeper of the Bees, bought by the same purchaser (presumably you). If I had looked more carefully I would have seen that the ID I first suggested was correct, as the serial numbers match.

Daniel

No Daniel it was e-bay 7003289427

it looks like a nice instrument, how does it play?

Push the ends in and out while pressing the buttons :rolleyes:

Hi Paul, I have only had this for a day , and am very pleased with it, I have operated the bellows without pressing the buttons and find there is only a slight bit of air from the air button side escaping, is this normal?

It was a poor effort at a joke............. but since you ask; in a perfect world you would want no air to escape when you push in the bellows without pushing a button. There is probably a pad that is not seated properly although these old 20-button Lachenal are somewhat prone to being leaky. One bit of advice; don't push or pull the bellows without pushing a button. You can easily cause damage that way.

Good luck with the 20B

Edited by Paul Read