Lachenal New Model English For Sale

JimLucas

post-13-1137782106.jpg

Look here for description, photos outside and in, and sound files.

I'm asking 18,500 Danish kroner -- closely equivalent to 3000 US dollars or 1700 UK pounds -- plus the cost of insured shipping.

To contact me directly, click on my name to the left of this post, then use the Send an Email option (a handy service of the C.net Forum) below my photo.

Edited to add: Payment in dollars or other currencies can be arranged. Offers will be considered (but please be realistic). Shipment to US should be free of import duty (ask me for details).

Edited by JimLucas

I just realized that I didn't include the instrument's weight with the information on the web page.

According to my kitchen scale, it's 1314 g (2 lbs. 14 oz.).

Edited to say: That has now been added to the web page.

Edited by JimLucas

...18,500 Danish kroner -- closely equivalent to 3000 US dollars or 1700 UK pounds -- plus the cost of insured shipping..

I've edited my origina post (above) to add: Payment in dollars or other currencies can be arranged. Offers will be considered (but please be realistic). Shipment to US should be free of import duty (ask me for details).

And after some technical difficulties (thanks for the help, Paul), I have now also listed this concertina in the "old" Buy & Sell section... which information shouldn't matter to anyone reading this here. :)

Very much enjoyed listening and playing along with Jim's sound clips on my New Model SN: 29161.

Beautiful instrument, wonderful responsive sound and well worth the price.

Money can't buy a better sounding instrument.

(Of course I might be a little prejudiced) :rolleyes:

Out of curiosity I weighed mine (a 56 key extended treble w/Solid rosewood sides) and found it to weigh 2lbs 11oz. I wonder if ebony weighs more than rosewood?

Very much enjoyed listening and playing along with Jim's sound clips on my New Model SN: 29161.

Beautiful instrument, wonderful responsive sound and well worth the price.

Money can't buy a better sounding instrument.

(Of course I might be a little prejudiced) :rolleyes:

Is it pre-judice if it's based on actual experience?

Out of curiosity I weighed mine (a 56 key extended treble w/Solid rosewood sides) and found it to weigh 2lbs 11oz. I wonder if ebony weighs more than rosewood?

Yeah, but I doubt it's enough to make a 3 oz. difference. And you have 16 more reeds, though the very smallest ones. How many folds does your bellows have?

I wonder if there might be a difference in the size of reeds or reed frames, or some other internal differences. According to the estimatedd ages in the C.net Buyers Guide, your New Model #29161 should be from around 1888, so quite an early one, while #59204 should be from around 1932, so a fairly late one. Maybe somebody could tell us what detailed changes Lachenal made during those 40-or-so years?

Well, the web page has seen some activity -- and not just for the sound files, -- but so far no one has contacted me, not even to make a lower offer or ask about terms. (2 payments might be possible, but nothing extended, since I'm selling it to pay some unanticipated expenses.)

18,500 Danish kroner

or the equivalent in dollars, pounds, etc.

or make an offer

Am I gonna have to put it on eBay? ... I'd rather not.

• 4 weeks later...

post-13-1137782106.jpg

Sigh! The uncertainties in my life are such that it's now time to try again. This concertina is back on ebay, with a slightly lower starting price and reserve, and a "Buy It Now" price, which essentially sets an upper limit.

I've added a couple more sound files, short ones to show the tone and volume at both moderate and strong bellows pressure. It doesn't choke or change pitch when pushed, but instead I think that it really rings. I plan to add a few more tomorrow, one showing the sound at an even quieter volume, and others to demonstrate each of the reeds throughout the range.

If someone here on Concertina.net makes me an acceptable offer before there are any bids on eBay, I think it would be within the rules to withdraw the eBay auction, but eBay is where it is right now.

post-13-1137782106.jpg

Sigh! The uncertainties in my life are such that it's now time to try again. This concertina is back on ebay, with a slightly lower starting price and reserve, and a "Buy It Now" price, which essentially sets an upper limit.

I've added a couple more sound files, short ones to show the tone and volume at both moderate and strong bellows pressure. It doesn't choke or change pitch when pushed, but instead I think that it really rings. I plan to add a few more tomorrow, one showing the sound at an even quieter volume, and others to demonstrate each of the reeds throughout the range.

If someone here on Concertina.net makes me an acceptable offer before there are any bids on eBay, I think it would be within the rules to withdraw the eBay auction, but eBay is where it is right now.

Hard luck Jim. It may be worth contacting the high bidder to see if you can make a deal. It's a nice looking instrument.

Hard luck Jim. It may be worth contacting the high bidder to see if you can make a deal. It's a nice looking instrument.

Nice playing, too. Since I put it up for sale I've been playing it a lot, so that I could answer questions. It has a somewhat different feel from my ebony Æola, but as I get more used to it (or maybe I'm breaking it in?), I'm liking it more and more. And I really like the sound, which makes me want to work on some jazz with it.

I'm currently in contact with a couple of people about the New Model, but now I'm wondering whether I might sell the Æola, instead. Waddya think?

Edited by JimLucas

Nice playing, too. Since I put it up for sale I've been playing it a lot, so that I could answer questions. It has a somewhat different feel from my ebony Æola, but as I get more used to it (or maybe I'm breaking it in?), I'm liking it more and more. And I really like the sound, which makes me want to work on some jazz with it.

I'm currently in contact with a couple of people about the New Model, but now I'm wondering whether I might sell the Æola, instead. Waddya think?

Those New Models are nice, I had one myself, but you can't beat a nice Aeola. Is the Aeola from the 1910-1920s era?

Edited by Paul Read