I Don't Have A Concertina Yet!

Len-Tikular

I sing unacompanied at local folk sessions. Very few leave the room when it's my turn to sing so that cant be bad :rolleyes:

I wear hearing aids(2) and am profoundly deaf but I get by.

I would like to learn to play a musical instrument to help keep me in tune etc but I know not where to begin. I thought of the concertina because I am told it need no tuning for example like a guitar.

So having decided, where do I start. Do I need a Anglo or an English, do I need an instrument with 20 buttons or 40 or etc. Can someone advise me on a suitable instrument for a beginner who has no knowledge of music or playing any sort of instrument.

I'd appreciate any help or advice.

Thanks

I sing unacompanied at local folk sessions. Very few leave the room when it's my turn to sing so that cant be bad :rolleyes:

I would like to learn to play a musical instrument to help keep me in tune etc but I know not where to begin. I thought of the concertina because I am told it need no tuning for example like a guitar.

So having decided, where do I start. Do I need a Anglo or an English, do I need an instrument with 20 buttons or 40 or etc. Can someone advise me on a suitable instrument for a beginner who has no knowledge of music or playing any sort of instrument.

Thanks

This is a fascinating question. If you do a search here you'll find the advice we give about twice a week to a typical new person asking about which system to try. If the aural feedback you get from your instrument is limited, I'm not sure how you'd decide what system to play. Learning scales would be a matter of learning finger patterns. In the case of anglo, a 20-key would be simple in one or two keys but would need to be pitched to cover the keys/range you prefer to sing. Getting together with someone who has some concertinas you can try would be a way to sort this out. What part of the world are you in?

Here in Pittsburgh there is a woman I first met at the contra dances who has very limited hearing. Later I found her playing in one of the local Cajun bands, and very well. I had never thought about why she would play one-row diatonic accordion, rather than fiddle, say, but you have explained it. That kind of accordion is a cousin of the anglo concertina. Recently she has started teaching the dancing for beginners, using a headset and amplifier, and after a little practice with how to explain dances, and us letting her know if there is a question out of her line of sight, it goes well. I always try to get a dance with her as she is a dear(!), and if we converse then she usually need to see my mouth, as that is how she follows my speech (makes the dances interesting).

Good luck,

Ken Coles

A good reason to play concertina or accordion if one is hard of hearing is that these jewels can be loud, especially up close on your lap. The bright tone also cuts through a lot of crowd noise. In fact, I worry that the tinnitus I am slowly developing is more related to playing my loud and wonderful Dipper than to any other factor.

I would very much recommend an anglo concertina, 30 button best. Why? Easier to pick up for a beginner with no music training, and for one who has hearing problems, the rhythmic pumping action adds to the feel of the music, and that can't be bad for you. I'd get as bright a player as possible....metal ends, and as good an instrument as you can afford (check out the buying guide on this site). As far as the key choice goes, I'd ask someone on this Forum who sings if you are planning to accompany yourself (try emailing Brian Peters, for one).

Although playing an anglo might be a plus for your intonation when singing, never forget that your hearing friends might not be as kind to your singing with a concertina as they have been when you are solo. Any free reed instrument can overwhelm vocals if one is not careful. But it can be really nice!

Many thanks Ken for your valued response.

I am near Manchester UK.

I'll take my time before buying.

Sounds like I need to listen to a few instruments before making my decision.

Cheers

George

Thanks

This is a fascinating question. If you do a search here you'll find the advice we give about twice a week to a typical new person asking about which system to try. If the aural feedback you get from your instrument is limited, I'm not sure how you'd decide what system to play. Learning scales would be a matter of learning finger patterns. In the case of anglo, a 20-key would be simple in one or two keys but would need to be pitched to cover the keys/range you prefer to sing. Getting together with someone who has some concertinas you can try would be a way to sort this out. What part of the world are you in?

Here in Pittsburgh there is a woman I first met at the contra dances who has very limited hearing. Later I found her playing in one of the local Cajun bands, and very well. I had never thought about why she would play one-row diatonic accordion, rather than fiddle, say, but you have explained it. That kind of accordion is a cousin of the anglo concertina. Recently she has started teaching the dancing for beginners, using a headset and amplifier, and after a little practice with how to explain dances, and us letting her know if there is a question out of her line of sight, it goes well. I always try to get a dance with her as she is a dear(!), and if we converse then she usually need to see my mouth, as that is how she follows my speech (makes the dances interesting).

Good luck,

Ken Coles

That's a very good point Ken, people might run at the sound of my voice together with that of a Concertina :-)

I'll take my time in chosing but the Anglo 30 or 20 button looks like it may be my choice.

Thanks

George

A good reason to play concertina or accordion if one is hard of hearing is that these jewels can be loud, especially up close on your lap. The bright tone also cuts through a lot of crowd noise. In fact, I worry that the tinnitus I am slowly developing is more related to playing my loud and wonderful Dipper than to any other factor.

I would very much recommend an anglo concertina, 30 button best. Why? Easier to pick up for a beginner with no music training, and for one who has hearing problems, the rhythmic pumping action adds to the feel of the music, and that can't be bad for you. I'd get as bright a player as possible....metal ends, and as good an instrument as you can afford (check out the buying guide on this site). As far as the key choice goes, I'd ask someone on this Forum who sings if you are planning to accompany yourself (try emailing Brian Peters, for one).

Although playing an anglo might be a plus for your intonation when singing, never forget that your hearing friends might not be as kind to your singing with a concertina as they have been when you are solo. Any free reed instrument can overwhelm vocals if one is not careful. But it can be really nice!