Physical Therapy For Abused Concertina Wrist

Craig Wagner

Quite a while ago I hurt my wrist playing concertina... I had a very heavy 46 button Jeffries on trial and so I played my brains out on it over a couple of days... I strained my right wrist that bothered me for quite some time... Shortly thereafter I hurt my right elbow overswinging in racquetball...

Anyway, I went into physical therapy and was given some simple wrist exercises that have helped me strengthen the wrist. If interested, let me know and I will forward on to you.

I strained my right wrist that bothered me for quite some time... Shortly thereafter I hurt my right elbowl...

Anyway, I went into physical therapy and was given some simple wrist exercises that have helped me strengthen the wrist. If interested, let me know and I will forward on to you.

I'd be interested. Strengthening muscles before they become damaged is a good idea.

On the other hand, I'd advise anyone who already has a problem to see a physical therapist before trying someone else's exercises. Your problem may not be the same, and therefore the solution may be very different. Treating yourself with someone else's prescription is as bad an idea when the prescription is exercise as when the prescription is a drug.

Jim:"On the other hand, I'd advise anyone who already has a problem to see a physical therapist before trying someone else's exercises. Your problem may not be the same, and therefore the solution may be very different. Treating yourself with someone else's prescription is as bad an idea when the prescription is exercise as when the prescription is a drug. "

Goran: I very much agree with the above and hinted at this basic attitude in a message in the "Welcome" thread. This does not hinder us to discuss the methods however so do let us know...I am also interested....

Generally speaking 'fitness' promoting exercises are mostly positive, including of course muscle 'strengthening' (regarding however the common risks with the exercises as well.....) but when it comes to strain related to static AND repetetive work as we are mostly coming across in music performances the problems usually

are linked not to muscle 'strength' firstly but work to work methods, tools,relaxation, resting...

consequently the 'cure' firstly ought to be adaptation of the 'work to the man' rather than the 'man to the work'.....