Action Repair Needed - Advice?

I wish I had a picture of this, but I'm stuck describing it.

You have the button attached to the arm attached to the pad. The pivot point of the arm is a metal post. My metal posts have a tongue on the bottom which is pressed into a groove. Well one of my posts has come out of its groove. I tried wrapping a little tape around it to tighten the fit, but no dice. It came out again after 30 seconds. How have you folks fixed stuff like this?

Edited by Jeff Stallard

Jeff,

I have used several approaches. If the hole in the wood pan receiving the post is a bit too large you can

shim it with a wood shaving and a bit of glue. If it is grossly large you could fill the hole with a small peg and redrill the hole.

I've also found a quick and often satisfactory fix is to use a white glue with some elastic binder in it like Tandy Leather Bond. The glue does not become brittle when it dries and this elasticity helps keep the post from working loose.

Best of luck,

Greg

One way to get the post to grip in the hole is to use a pair of wire cutters across the diagonal corners of the post, gently squeezing them until you create a small indentation. The displaced metal will have formed some burrs which will make the post a tighter fit in the hole.

Be very careful not to overdo it though.

And if you question the validity of this method ask Steve Dickinson, because that's what he did to one of mine, and I did the same when another one loosened up!

Also I would have thought this is one of those few places where the "unholy" adhesive superglue could be considered.

Robin Madge

• 2 weeks later...
One way to get the post to grip in the hole is to use a pair of wire cutters across the diagonal corners of the post, gently squeezing them until you create a small indentation. The displaced metal will have formed some burrs which will make the post a tighter fit in the hole.

I tried this approach, and it worked perfectly. Thanks for the suggestion!