Texas Jeffries

stella24

howdy all. you can't tell me that you don't spend time looking at tina's on ebay, so let's see what a beautiful and possibly original tuned jeffries goes for today at 17:00 hrs PST. last i looked it was at 2900 USD with no reserve. high bidder is from the UK and as someone from the states, I hope this one does go back to the country of origin. I won't link you as I am new to my Mac. cheers.

given the prices sellers in all countries, particularly the uk & ireland, are lining their pockets with for these instruments, the "return this precious object to its country of origin" thing (not only from you, stella, i've heard it from various quarters, often expressed in an obnoxiously prim, "p.c." manner, though not in this thread), gives me a stomachache.

QUITE A BIT in canadian. whew. and you could get a really nice used baby grand piano for this sum.

really amazing. well, i'll just continue to squeeze my accordian reed concertina in bliss... no advertising here unless it's for Mr. Edgley and other worthy artisans.

you are absolutely right, stephen, and even aside from "the market" determining price, i'm not sure i'd disagree with those who feel these instruments are actually worth the prices. i'm just saying, that now that we're up to six, eight and ten grand a pop for some of these babies, the whole self-righteous thing about a british isles buyer being somehow more entitled to the instrument than a sincere and loving american, japanese, australian or other buyer, is even more icky and silly than it was before.

Hey, what about Canadians :blink:

It actually will go to an English Canadian (not me) who, more importantly, will play it instead of keeping it on a shelf.

Regarding price, this is about the range that UK dealers seem to be selling them. How good this one is remains to be seen.

I've recently bought a 28-button restored G/D Jeffries which is absolutely wonderful and worth every penny I paid.

you are absolutely right, stephen, and even aside from "the market" determining price, i'm not sure i'd disagree with those who feel these instruments are actually worth the prices.

It certainly makes my amboyna tenor-treble Æola look like even more of a bargain, considering that Jeffries concertinas cost a fraction of the price of one when they were made. But that's "supply and demand", and something that I predicted 25 years ago.

i'm just saying, that now that we're up to six, eight and ten grand a pop for some of these babies, the whole self-righteous thing about a british isles buyer being somehow more entitled to the instrument than a sincere and loving american, japanese, australian or other buyer, is even more icky and silly than it was before.

Personally, I never thought that argument had any merit anyway. The manufacturers produced lots of instruments for export in the first place, and at times seem to have relied on export markets to keep going.