Clover Wanted

Pete Fitzgerald

Hello,

I'm a new player looking to upgrade my instrument (a Rochelle 2), and would be particularly interested in a second hand c/g Clover (or similar). Please PM me with the details if you have one available.

Thanks!

Edited by Pete Fitzgerald

Thanks Paul! The ICC "Clare" is indeed another instrument I am considering, but was hoping that a used Concertina Connection "Clover" might be coming up for sale in the not too distant future.

I assume they are roughly comparable, unless someone who has experience with both instruments has other thoughts, but have yet to try either myself as yet ....

Edited by Pete Fitzgerald
  • Like 1

Hello Peter,

I once got The Clare and the Clover (not at the same time) so maybe I can help...from memory !

It is all very personal so maybe it will help, maybe not.

Once owned the Clare and the Morse Ceili at the same time and had to choose one...it was a though choice.

I did prefer the sound of the Clare but the Morse was much louder and bigger (large hand) and faster player (not me ;-)).

Finally kept the Morse because of the louder sound that filled the room and also very light and faster. But then I sold it because the tone wasn't my taste; I did regret a bit the Clare.

Anyway, this is to say I really enjoyed the Clare.

I also really liked the Clover but sold it because the air button was kind of hard to reach...not sure why ! Maybe a bit misplaced or maybe because the hand strap was very thick (I think this is the reason).

The Clover and the Clare are quite different...Here is a quick comparison (from what I remember 😉) :

* The Clare :

- Smaller than the Clover. I have big hand and it didn't bother at all.

- Sound doesn't project as much as the Clover. It is kind of loud but not sure how to explain, it doesn't feel like it fills the room.

- Tone is kind of sweeter, I want to say closer to a real concertina (meaning not a hybrid).

* Clover :

- Sound is Crisper than the Clare, louder, bigger size. It also has a nice tone but different, brighter.

If you need to be heard (session...), I would choose the Clover.

In a more intimate setting, I would choose the Clare (but still loud 😉

If I had to choose today between one of them, I would choose the Clare because I liked the sound and air button was easy to reach (for me).

Both seems of very good quality.

Don’t know your background and goal, both are a good choice but will probably not be your last concertina !

But a huge step up from the Rochelle 😉 

Nicolas

Edited by papawemba
  • Like 1

Nicholas and Paul, I believe you've identified some of the most commonly cited "intermediate" hybrids being produced today. It's always interesting to hear folks' experiences with these instruments. Part of my focus on the Clover is the relative lack of comments/feedback about the Clare, so any and all info is appreciated!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PaulDa321 said:

I talked to Chris Algar about the Marcus the other day and he won’t ship it to the US since it’s on consignment. Seems to apply to you too Peter (hello from VT!). 

This is probably because of the return policy...But maybe he will accept if you make it sure you won't send it back...

But Chris is a man of value so not sure it will work.

• Like 1